1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Build a New Computer, Turned on for 5 Seconds and Shut Off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PunK_WalKeR, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PunK_WalKeR

PunK_WalKeR Thread Starter

Alright, so I build myself a new computer. I bought all the components from Newegg and put them together last weekend. I waited until today to finish it up with a harddrive because I ordered that separately after my initial order. Anyway, I put the thing together, plug it in cross my fingers and turn it on....it turns on for 5 seconds and immediately shuts down. All the case fans, case lights, etc are one, but it immediately shuts down. This is my third build so I'm not completely ignorant to the process.

Any suggestions? Answers? Anything?

Thanks!

Specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor
    RAIDMAX QUANTUM RX-700 ATX12V / EPS12V 700W SLI Power Supply
    EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
    ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

2. DreadStorm

DreadStorm

First Name:
    Wayne
    Have you checked the power supply? And make sure things are thermally sound (heat sinks firmly mounted, etc.).

Last machine I built that did that the heat sink wasn't but barely on the cpu when mounted. Then, recently, diagnosed a customer's computer that exhibited similar habits, and hers was a bad power supply. And yes, coincidentally, both were AMD machines. heh

3. PunK_WalKeR

I'll check the PSU this weekend. I've asked some other people and read some other things on web forums and it seems like it could be a whole mess of possibilities. *sigh*

Could too much thermal paste between the CPU and the CPU fan cause this issue? I was a bit worried I put too much on when I was building the system.

4. Nick B

Nick B

1. The PSU looks fishy, RADIMAX isn't known for quality PSU's. I just did my second build a month ago and when researching PSU's, RAIDMAX fell into a "tier 5"

2. Is the CPU fan turning on? Too much thermal grease wouldn't cause that kind of problem. At worst too much could ooze over and touch the mobo causing a short, but if all your mobo lights are on then I doubt it's that problem.

My vote, PSU. What's the total build, 700w is a huge power supply, unless you're running dual video cards or some other excessive number of drivers you can probably get a smaller power supply from a better name brand.

5. PunK_WalKeR

I can't tell if the CPU fan or the mobo are powering on as it doesn't stay on long enough to really get a good look. I know my case lights and my case fans are all powering on. As far as the massive power supply, I'm running the 8800GTS and running an SLI system. I suppose I bought the larger power supply in case I did get another video card down the road. What size PSU would you suggest? I have a 500W (I believe, it might be smaller) in my old set up that I may try and put in the new one to see if that alleviates the problem. I don't think the thermal grease is oozing over and touching the mobo at all.

The total build is (I'm just copying/pasting off my newegg order because I'm lazy):

A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model ADQVE1B16K
    RAIDMAX Smilodon Extreme Black ATX-612WEB SECC STEEL ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
    ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX6400CZBOX
    RAIDMAX QUANTUM RX-700 ATX12V / EPS12V 700W SLI Power Supply
    APEVIA CF4SL-UGN 80mm 4 x Green Lights LED Case Fan x 2
    ZALMAN CNPS 9500 AM2 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink
    Antec 761345-75025-7 120mm Green LED Case Fan
    ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model DRW-2014L1T
    Dynatron DB1206SPG PCI Slot Case Cooler
    Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

I'll also be putting another DVD drive as well as 2 more harddrives into the new system once I get it up and running.

6. Nick B

Nick B

If you're going SLI then the 700w is understandable. But I still think that's the problem. Your setup as it is now will run on 500w. If you have a PSU lying around, I'd try using it and seeing if everything works. That'll tell you if the PSU is the problem or if it's something else.

I'd still make sure the CPU fan is working, it should startup just like the case fans, when you hit the button, make sure in those 5 seconds it starts turning. Also make sure you mounted it correctly.

7. DreadStorm

DreadStorm

First Name:
    Wayne
    Just a tip: For the purpose of testing only - unplug and/or remove everything except one hard drive, and the video card. Disconnect all other drives and cards. Then as things progress, reattach one device at a time and retest. (That's standard diagnostic procedure.) If the problem persists in all stages, you have your answer - PS.

8. PunK_WalKeR

Thanks for the advice!

9. DreadStorm

DreadStorm

First Name:
    Wayne
    I could've clarified better: If the problem begins at, for example, a DVD drive, unplug that device again, and attach something else. Then, if it clears up, try the DVD again. If the DVD causes it to do it again, it's the DVD. If not, and it started again with the "something else" device, then it's a power problem there, too. Because when you reach a certain level of consumption, the PSU starts barfing. That's another way to figure it out. Why? Because it's HIGHLY doubtful that two devices that have different power requirements would die at the same time, and cause the same problem. :)

10. PunK_WalKeR

Alright, so I've done some initial diagnostics. After unplugging component by component (I was down to just the CPU/CPU fan) I was still getting the same problem. The computer would turn on for a few seconds and them immediately turn off. I have a green light on the mobo when the PSU is turned on. All my case fans are working as well as the CPU fan. After some closer inspecting my video card fan starts up, but does so a lot slower then the other fans and immediately shuts off. It moves, but barely, so I don't know if it may be an issue with the video card, however, when I was doing the initial diagnostics and the video card was disconnected from the mobo I was getting the same problem.

Anyway, that's what I've come up with so far. Is it safe to say that this is a PSU problem and I should return my current one and get a new one?

11. DreadStorm

DreadStorm

First Name:
    Wayne
    Yup. That's your problem, right there. Give 'em a call, and tell them you got a dud. :)

12. PunK_WalKeR

Bleh, well that sucks. I hate returning things via mail. Oh well, thanks for the help! I really appreciate it.

What PSU would you suggest getting to replace it?

13. DreadStorm

DreadStorm

First Name:
    Wayne
    Antec without a doubt. Probably a 600 or better. I don't know if Antec makes a 700, but look for 600 ant up. Careful though, they're great PSUs, but you pay for them too. But they're worth it.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice