1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Build a PC and it works but it lags

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ernests, Jan 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ernests

Ernests Thread Starter

Hi I have build a PC and everything works but it lags like on every single game and I have bought really good parts for the PC but I don’t know what’s wrong with it and if there is anyone out there that can help please can you message me

Attached Files:

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Ernests, and welcome to TSG.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but it does not apply in this case. If you expect anyone to help you, you will need to supply a full parts list of the parts in your build. Also, let us know what video resolution and refresh rate you are running and what games you have tried.

EDIT: What operating system are you running?

3. Ernests

Ernests Thread Starter

1. HyperX HX424C15FB2/8 FURY DDR4 8 GB RAM 2400 MHz DDR4 CL15 DIMM, Black (x1).
    2. Samsung MZ-76E500B/EU 500 GB 860 EVO Sata III 64L V NAND Solid State Drive.
    3. ASUS STRIX B250F GAMING Intel Motherboard - Black.
    4. Cooler Master Hyper 103 CPU Air Cooler '3 Heatpipes, 1x 92mm PWM Fan, 4-Pin Connector' RR-H103-22PB-R1.
    5. Antec VP700P 700 W 12 cm Power Supply Unit with 88 Plus Efficiency APFC Thermal Control - Black.
    6. Palit NE51060015J9-1060D NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card 113390 - Black.
    7. Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8 GHz QuadCore 6 MB Cache CPU - Black.

I don’t know what my video resolution is because I don’t know where to check that and also the refresh rate I don’t know which one I am running. And I have tried GTA 5 and it super laggy and can’t do anything at all and I also tried a smaller game minecraft that works alright with a little bit of lag and I don’t know what’s making this happen.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Assuming Windows 10 - RIght click on your desktop and click on Display Settings

upload_2019-1-23_16-25-14.png

If it's games, then generally I would make sure I install the most recent drivers first.

5. Ernests

Ernests Thread Starter

Here is the resolution

Attached Files:

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I see somewhat mismatched parts. You have a "K" series processor however you also have a B250 chipset motherboard. The B series chipsets are business chipsets NOT performance chipsets. In addition, the B250 does not support overclocking. Generally if someone purchases a K type or unlocked processor, they are going to overclock.

Next the pw supply. That is what is euphemistically called an entry level pw supply [read cheap] Even antec says so on their support site.
    While all of these mismatched parts will affect the performance, you should still be getting decent fps in most games. Have you checked your temps and voltages? If not, do so. Generally asus has monitoring software on the support site however for business type boards, not so much. If you do have monitoring software, post the following; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Do this twice; once under a normal load and once while running a stress test ie prime95 or OCCT. Let the stress test run for at least 2min to stabilize temps and voltages. Post both sets of reading here.

7. Ernests

Ernests Thread Starter

I have already tried and it didn’t work like I spent so much money and it lags

8. tecknurd

tecknurd

Computer not being responsive is caused by something running in the background. Probably updates is running. Give a day or two to process.

If you have give it a day or two, use Task Monitor and Resource Monitor to figure out what process or program is using the CPU and storage the most. Try to pause the process to see if fixes the unresponsiveness. Do it one at a time. Post the program name that you paused that returns your computer's responsiveness back, so we can give you a plan to fix the issue.

The GeForce GTX 1060 is not a powerful card. Lower your graphics quality settings in the game to something like med or low.

The chosen heat sink can only handle 95 watts. For your processor, something like the Hyper 212 EVO will be better. The Hyper 212 EVO has 150 watts. What does this mean exactly? It is the maximum cooling the heat sink can handle until it can't cool any further. The Hyper 212 EVO is just an example and it may not fit your motherboard and case.

Using single channel memory is OK for office work, email, and browsing the Internet. For gaming, tests have shown, that dual channel memory is recommended for the best possible performance. The reason for this is the game may require the graphics card to store more storage than what the graphics card can store, so it stores the excess in system memory. This may also be cause of your computer not being responsive in games.

WiFi cards in desktop computers should be banned. The reason both the motherboard and wifi cards will interfere with each other and cause hardware conflicts. The radio frequencies that the Wifi card emits is close to the electronics of your motherboard. If you have to use Wifi use a wifi router and set it into wifi to ethernet bridge mode. Use wired networks at any costs.

The amount of watts for the power supply that you picked is plenty. Could have selected power supply from a better brand. Yes, you have is a start. I pick Seasonic. Others may pick Corsair and EVGA. What you get from these three brands are ultra-low ripple voltage, tight output voltage regulation, and less frequency artifacts.

The "K" SKU means on Intel processors means the the multiplier is unlocked. This helps with overclocking. What some people don't know that B chipsets have some minor overclocking abilities. It won't be as easy as the Z chipsets, but B chipsets are capable for overclocking. Overclocking on these boards are different. You can get different overclocking results depending on the motherboard manufacture.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The B chipsets do not support overclocking. See the intel spec sheet. The only thing you can do with the b chipset board is adj the bclk [as long as the board supports that option]
    Maybe yes and maybe no. High processor temp from an incorrect install of the hsf is just as likely; hence the reason to check temps.

Attached Files:

10. Ernests

Ernests Thread Starter

Wait so what exactly do you want me to do so I could fix this problem

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You do understand that your parts are at least 2yr old [which is a lifetime in the tech world] Both the 7600K and the intel B250 chipset were released in Jan of 2017 so while they are not yet obsolete [I am still running an overclocked 7600K] those parts are not really cutting edge.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you done what I told you; check your temps and voltages? That would be the very first thing I would do with a new build that was having problems.

13. Ernests

Ernests Thread Starter

yes I have done it like that was the first thing I did when I built this computer and I still don’t know what’s up with it

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Then post your temps and voltages both under a normal load and while running a stress test ie post the results here preferably a screenshot of the asus monitoring program.

15. Ernests

Ernests Thread Starter

I can’t post it rn because the computer is off and I forgot how you would do that because I did it ages ago and I gave up and I want to try fixing it now

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222251

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice