Build Issues: DRAM, BOOT, and VGA all blink

chrussellvt

First off - thanks in advance for reading through my situation!

I'm very new to computer building, but generally pretty tech savvy. This is my current build setup:

Mobo: MSI x570 Gaming Plus
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU: PNY Geforce Gtx 1660 Super
PSU: Thermaltake Smart BM2 650w
SSD: Samsung 970 EvoPlus 500gb
RAM: T-Force 64GB (2x32) 3200 mhz
Wifi: TP-Link WiFi 6 AX3000
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow

The build was straightforward. Didn't have any issues getting everything together, but the computer will not boot.

The DRAM, VGA, and BOOT EZDebug lights on the mobo blink once, while the mobo fan runs briefly before turning off. The CPU light does not light at all.

I have tried the following:
-Built with just CPU and RAM (both in and out of case)
-Tried using CPU 8pin vs 12pin (8+4) power to mobo
-Removed CMOS battery for 5 min / tried jumping bios reset

In all scenarios, outcome is the same (3 LEDs blink red once, mobo fan spins briefly, then nothing else)

-Also tried paperclip test, and PSU fan did NOT turn on. But, the mobo will not blink/fan will not turn without PSU connected and powerswitch (I) on. Could it still be a bad PSU?
-Lastly, I noticed the same 3 LED blink/mobo fan spin, when pulling the main mobo power connection off mobo, as PSU was still connected. The connection does not seem loose because the symptoms described above were always initiated using the Case's front power button (I double checked this). I think it occurred because mobo was getting power intermittently as I pulled off power source... initiating the EZDebug sequence.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Could it be my mobo? PSU?

Any ideas on next steps would be appreciated!

Couriant

James
From MSI's site:

DRAM-LED lit on: The RAM or CPU is not detected or fail or be incompatible with the motherboard.
VGA-LED lit on: the graphics card or the CPU with integrated graphics is not detected or fail
BOOT-LED lit on: Indicates the booting device is not detected or fail

To have all 3 I would think the motherboard is my first guess. To confirm, you did connect from the PSU the ATX, CPU1 and CPU2 connections?

Since this board has an onboard video, remove the video card and see if the computer will boot.
For the memory, there seems to be different models of the Team T-Force memory. Which one do you have? Also, did you install the memory in the DIMMA2 and DIMMB2 slots? The manual shows that the board uses Dual Channel memory and from what I have seen Team memory is single channel. My hardware knowledge has diminished over the last few years so I am unsure if this is also a cause.

chrussellvt

Thanks for the response.

I did check MSI website, and it's a good point that it may be the motherboard.

To confirm, you did connect from the PSU the ATX, CPU1 and CPU2 connections? - Yes, I did connect all of these.

Since this board has an onboard video, remove the video card and see if the computer will boot.
-Tried this as well, just w CPU and RAM, same error

For the memory, there seems to be different models of the Team T-Force memory. Which one do you have? Also, did you install the memory in the DIMMA2 and DIMMB2 slots? The manual shows that the board uses Dual Channel memory and from what I have seen Team memory is single channel.
The memory is dual channel - this is a link to what I bought:
www.newegg.com/amp/team-64gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820331496

Still motherboard???

Couriant

James
The memory is supported by the board per MSI... I am not as verse with the PSU so if you can, RMA the board and see if that helps.

chrussellvt

Thanks so much for the feedback - really appreciate. I'll contact the seller about the motherboard and start there.

chrussellvt

Update...

I have installed a new motherboard and got excited that things seemed to be looking up, when the RGB lights on the new mobo (Asus Tuf Gaming x570 Plus Wifi) came on and all fans (CPU and Case) turned briefly.

After installing everything again, here are my symptoms:

Power on PSU (I) - RGB lights near mobo fan come on and cycle through their normal sleep pattern

Press Power Button - All fans turn briefly, CPU fan lights come on for a second, then nothing... but power led on case stays lit.... but nothing comes up on monitor, and mobo does not seem to be going through normal post sequence. No beeps, no EZDebug LEDs...

If left in this state, I cannot turn the computer off with the power button on the case - the power button LED, and the mobo rgb lights stay lit. This is what's pictured.

Do I have a cpu issue? Should I try booting the motherboard with nothing to see if it'll perform post?

I may end up bringing the build to a local shop, but any thoughts on my current situation would be welcomed!

Thanks. PXL_20201202_171407657.jpg

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
While the motherboard itself may support onboard graphics, the CPU you chose does not. So, in order to see anything on a monitor, you must use a video card. Just an FYI ...

Have you tried with one DIMM at a time?

chrussellvt

Thanks - yes, I had the hdmi plugged directly into GPU. And I did try one stick of RAM at a time.

Couriant

James
I am flagging our resident hardware guy @crjdriver to provide some feedback.

At least the lights that were originally on seems to have resolved... now the question is what is causing the the no POST/Boot.

crjdriver

It appears you have done most of the troubleshooting possible without swapping parts. This troubles me;
Also tried paperclip test, and PSU fan did NOT turn on.
While a paperclip test does not show whether a pw supply output is within limits, the unit should start when jumped with the paperclip.
Just to be sure, you did the test in this manner;
1 Both atx and aux/cpu pw connectors disconnected from the motherboard
2 Located the green [pin #16] wire and insert one end
3 Located the black [pin #17] wire and insert the other end. Pw supply fan should start

chrussellvt

@crjdriver - exactly - I tested with PSU only - no connections to mobo, just paperclip. Think I should try a new PSU before anything else and that it's possible the LEDs on the mobo in the pic shown above could still light even without a properly working PSU? Thanks to all for the feedback.

crjdriver

Swapping in a different pw supply would be the first thing I would do. You do not have to fully install the test unit. Connect atx, aux/cpu and video pw [if used] Hit the ON button and see if the motherboard will POST.
If you see the motherboard splashscreen, you can shutdown and fully install the test unit or install a new pw supply.

chrussellvt

Perfect - I'll try that next. Since CPU is Ryzen 7 3700x (without graphics), prob makes sense to include GPU in the test, as I'll want display connected to GPU, correct? Last question: beyond ATX, CPU power, and GPU power, no need to connect case power button, correct? Can just use I/O on PSU for the test?

Thanks again for the help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts