1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Build or Buy?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gregski, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gregski

gregski Thread Starter

I am currently using about a 4 year old Dell Dimension 4300 that is showing signs of the mother board starting to fail. My question is should I buy a complete new system or build a new one. First of all, the old Dell is not completely stock. In the last year I have added a DVD-dual layer burner, 160G hard drive and 500W PSU. Seeing as I wouldn't need those items, I am thinking of buying a case, mother board and processor, then build my system around it. I have never built a system from scratch, but have always wanted to. I'm fairly electronically inclined and think it would be fun. Having never done this, I need some advice. I am heading for trouble? I look around and see the hoard of mother boards available and don't know where to start. I know I want at least a P4 at 3GHz. Does anybody have some good resource links to get me started? Thanks in advance.

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Build. You have a good start already with all the new parts.

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

We will help you. It isn't hard to build a machine. I can do it in an hour and be installing windows. I am not even good at it.:D

4. gregski

gregski Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies Skivvywaver. I was kinda leaning in that direction already. My first dilemma is the mother board. I want to add good video and sound cards as well. What do I look for in a mother board? Do you know a good site that reviews them? Or are there a couple of manufacturers that produce consistent quality products?

5. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

If you are using a Pentium processor, buy an intel board. They know the architecture better than anyone.

If you are going AMD, I like Asus boards.

7. TechGuy42

TechGuy42

If you dont know what you are doing Buy it. dont risk screwing up the parts before the first use. If you dot knw dont touch if you know then go.

8. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

42, why are you being negative? You told a guy earlier "you get what you pay for" and now this. If you aren't going to try to be of some help just stay out of the threads.

We all built the first machine at one time or another. This fellow will get through it fine. Geez.:rolleyes:

9. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

Might want to try newegg.com instead of tiger direct, I find that they are cheaper... most of the time.

TechGuy:
    Gotta Learn Sometime

10. gregski

gregski Thread Starter

Thanks for the support, Skivvy. I was wondering the same thing as I read his post. I've dug around plenty in my computer and spent 21 years in the electronics industry. I have the money to go buy a new computer, I just want to try and build my own. I have received plenty of answers on these forums in the past, so I thought it would be a great resource for positive support. Well, mostly positive.

11. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

So you say you want a Pentium 4 at least 3Ghz?

I would go for a Socket 775 Motherboard.

A little off topic... I heard that they were gonna stop makin the socket 478s, is that true?

12. TechGuy42

TechGuy42

If you want to learn to build your Own PC the Moth Board MAual gives steop by step instructions give it a go it never hurts to learn soething new

13. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

very well could be, you see mine comes out of a box. plug it in and works. my post is from surfing and reading..lol ;) :D (y)

14. Interstate

Interstate

I'm considering buliding a new computer too, or at least pretending too. (Lack of funds)

Is dual processors really faster than a single? My toshiba laptop has dual 3.06Ghz regular P4's, and it doesn't really feel like the jet fighter I was expecting, (not saying that it's slow however) other than the fact that it gets up to 100F regularly and has really loud fans.

I've been all over newegg and think I can part everything together, but is there a company that makes custom boards; I want to put some stuff on there that just wont fit on the prefabbed boards. Like soundcard, vidcard, and a couple other things...

15. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

lol nice jd

I think that the hardest part when your building a computer is making sure everything is compatible with everything. But then thats not really that hard... But techguy was right about the manual, it does pretty much tell you how to put all your hardware together.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice