1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Build Your Own PC: Best Graphics Card Advice?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mesmerbeowulf, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mesmerbeowulf

mesmerbeowulf Thread Starter

Hello

Just finished my first 'build your own pc' project ( a Linux Box ) out of 3 broken pcs. The basic unit is a old (1999?) compact NEC Powermate ML3 with a puny RIVA TNT2 16mb graphics card sitting in a AGP 4x slot.

Whats the best graphics card I can get for this Linux Box? I know that AGP 8x cards are supposed to run ok in AGP 4x slots but I understand that there are power and other issues to consider?

Any help would be great - thanks!

Pete

2. KablooieXL

KablooieXL

what exactly are the puter specs?? And what kind of PSU do you have in there?

3. mesmerbeowulf

Hi. I thought I entered my computer specs already. Its a NEC Powermate 1.5GHz/640 MB RAM/160 GB Hard Drive plus 20GB Hard Drive running Ubuntu Linux 7.10. Im not sure of the Power Supply Unit..?

4. KablooieXL

KablooieXL

Check your PSU casing to see how many Watts the PSU holds. It's rather important because graphics cards can use quite a bit of power and if you don't have that power, you might blow a couple of fuses.

5. mesmerbeowulf

The PSU max output is 245 Watts

6. KablooieXL

KablooieXL

it will be hard (maybe even impossible) to find a graphics card that will run with a PSU max of 245W... It might be wise to find yourself a better PSU and get yourself something like a radeon 9600xt. Not sure if Linux supports it tho, you'll have to do a search on that yourself :)

7. mesmerbeowulf

Even an older card such as a geforce 4 or even 2? This is not for gaming!

8. KablooieXL

KablooieXL

the geforce 4 has a minimum requirement of 300W and the geforce 2 250W. However, with the geforce 2 (32mb) it will max out your 245W psu and put it under quite a bit of stress. Due to it being an old PSU, I'm not sure of how smart that would be concidering you'd only gain 16MB of video ram.

9. mesmerbeowulf

Thanks for your help - might risk a Geforce 2.

10. KablooieXL

KablooieXL

you're welcome and good luck :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704595

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice