1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building a comp for myself, needed some help.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marik1234, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marik1234

marik1234 Thread Starter

Well here's what I got so far which is probably basically everything, just maybe a wi-fi adapter is left.

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=5455152

I had a coupla questions.

Is the case decent/ok or good? I bought it because it looks great, and along with that it seems to have 2 fans and a side air duct which makes it better, but I'm not the hardware expert here, otherwise I wouldn't be asking yall this. :D

Is that mobo good for that CPU and RAM?

What's the best mobo there is out there for a Core 2 Duo and DDR2 667 RAM? That one seemed like the best one to me at newegg after taking my time to look through all of them and whatnot, and it supports DDR2 667 and has 4 memory slots, also a good amount of other interfaces.

Will that RAM work with that mobo? I chose that RAM because it was the best there was because I was tryna buy some RAM at a good price and I wanted the latency to be 3 or 4.

And overall how does it look? Anyone have a suggestion to make it better or a good tweak? Does it all look like it'll work with itself and all and be workin wit no probs? Thnx.

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

It looks like a good system. Get a 10,000 RPM hard drive if it's in the budget.

3. stecks

stecks

Stay away from PowerSupply's that come with the case buy a seperate Power Supply... Trust me if you were to give it time other's would tell you the same thing as soon as they would see this thread

4. marik1234

marik1234 Thread Starter

I was thinking about upgrading to a 500GB HDD and a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo anyway so I'll probably add that HDD in.

And do you wanna reccomend a good PSU in that case? Which are some good brands for PSU's?, all I heard on them was that Powmax ones were crappy. And yea I read that usually PSU's that come with cases are crappy so I'm taking it that that one that comes with my case is crappy too right? Anyway if you have a good PSU just gimme the link here(newegg hopefully) and I'll buy that. How much watts should I want/need? I'm not gonna be a gaming a lot, just doing a lot of stuff other than gaming. I might add my old HDD into that comp tho if it matters for the watts.

5. marik1234

marik1234 Thread Starter

Oh and I have another question, is it possible that some RAM may not work or be incompatible with a mobo because the mobo only accepts RAM that uses upto a specific voltage? I hope it's not, and definetly not for my mobo. Do you think my mobo and RAM will work nicely/safely along with each other and are 100% compatible?

Let's say though that may be true and my mobo only accepts RAM up to 1.8v and mines is 1.9v(it is really 1.9v), would it then be possible to change the voltage for the RAM on my mobo in its BIOS?

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Antec, Enermax or Thermaltake are all I would buy for psu...though I have had Eagle cases before and if that's an Eagle psu, they aren't bad.

7. cfhpantera

cfhpantera

I would like to know why your getting DDR2 667 and not DDR2 800? With DDR2, speed is more important than timings and DDR2 800 gives you more room for overclocking. You can get some DDR2 800 Transcend JETRAM on newegg for around $74 the last time I saw which is what I have in my system.

In the case of getting DDR2 800 consider getting an EVGA 650i Ultra motherboard. It is an excellent budget motherboard that is slightly faster than most boards that cost $50-$100 dollars more. It is also an excellent overclocking board. The last time I saw it ran for $99.

The E6420 is great because of the 4MB of L2 cache but if you are comfortable doing the easiest overclock in processor history consider buying an E4300. It is much cheaper and can be easily overclocked to 3.2-3.4Ghz on stock cooling providing you have good airflow in your case. A clock speed that high on a $114 dollar processor exceeds the speed of all Core 2 processors except for the quad core offerings in some cases.

Like stecks said you MUST stay away from that overpriced case with a cheap power supply. I highly reccomend getting a coolermaster power supply. You can get a 500W coolermaster for $50 on newegg. There are a lot of other high quality brands but i'm just going to say Cooler Master because I am a fanboy with them.

I just don't like your choices here especially if your a gamer. The graphics card is what you should be spending the most money on and yet you were looking to spend $150 on a case with a cheap PSU and only $99 on a graphics card? I look to spend about $50-$60 on a case that doesn't come with a worthless PSU.

8. marik1234

marik1234 Thread Starter

:(

I'm not a gamer. :D

With that said there would probably be no need for me to get DDR 800 over 667 anyway right? I just mainly do everything a lot besides gaming lmao. I do everything a lot and like to have a lot of programs open at once and multitask but I don't really game, sure I may play a game once in a while but it'll only be for like 20-30 mins or something, not really for gaming as I don't do that a lot on my PC. I use my PS2 online and PSP for that. I guess you can just say I'm not into PC games which is probably true imo.

And how's this PSU? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817163018

Oh and I'm not looking to overclock anything either.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

No Powmax is real crap!

10. marik1234

marik1234 Thread Starter

lol yep just like I heard. Time to find a really good PSU now.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice