Building a computer for the "first" time, questions on part choices and such

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Flake

Well finaly time to upgrade and build another computer. Technically it isn't my first since I helped build my current one, but I had someone knowledgable with me then. This time it's just little old me.

So far here's what I have picked out:

SONY DDU1612/B2 BLACK 16X DVD ROM Drive (48X CD-ROM Speed) - OEM

SONY 1.44MB 3.5 INCH INTERNAL FDD DRIVE - OEM-BLACK

WD WESTERN DIGITAL EIDE HARD DRIVE 40GB 7200RPM MODEL # WD400BB -CAVIAR OEM, DRIVE ONLY

GeIL Golden Dragon DDR 512MB 400MHz Model GD3200-512DC Retail

DFI Motherboard for AMD Processors, "LAN Party" Model NFII Ultra Retail

AMD ATHLON XP 2800 "Barton" 333 FSB PROCESSOR CPU- RETAIL

Guillemot Hercules 9800 PRO 128MB - OEM

plus

TrueBlue Antec True480 480Watt Silence Power Supply w/ Blue LED Internal Illumination, P4 Ready

PS-141B, Blue Linxcel KVM (Keyboard Video Mouse) Electronic Switch Box, Access four PCs, PS/2 Compatible,

x3 Premium 3-in-1 PS/2 HD-15 (Mouse, Keyboard & Monitor cable) 6'/10' KVM Cable Male/Male

plus this case:

http://xoxide.com/bluexdreamer.html

Pretty much going all out on this rig, never owned anything that can run games at all high settings, and I'd like to be playing Star Wars Galaxies at top settings =P

1st question: GeIL ram, I had never heard of it till I started looking for parts for this computer, but a close friend swears by it, I had DDR333mhz Corsair XMS picked out, but he pointed me towards that 400mhz GeIL golden dragon for 4$ more.

2nd question: the DFI motherboard, i've read a lot of reviews on it and it appears to be getting nothing but great reviews, but again hadn't heard of the brand till building this comp.

3rd question: the amd athlon XP 2800+ barton 333mhz fsb is 174$ in about a week the 3000+ barton 400mhz fsb is releasing for 259$. Would it be worth it to wait for the 400mhz? Or would the differnce not be large enough to justify 100$ more bucks?

4th question: what OS do you think I should run? I own win2000 pro, but i'm tempted to look into XP. Computer will purely be for gaming.

Question 1...........I have used at least a dozen sticks of Geil ram with no problems and its a good OC but Corsair XMS is a better stick of ram ......................also unless you are overclocking you should get some Kingston value ram............

Question 2..............I have also read the reviews but most of thier other mobos are on the low end ............and they dont have a great reputation.............for what they are charging for that mobo I would get something else.

Question 3.................save the $100 you will not be able to tell the difference.

Question 4................I have XP pro and it seems to work good with any game I have tried

LiteOn or Toshiba CD-ROM
Mitsumi Floppy
WD 80G 8MB cache HDD
2 x 512 Corsair XMS Dual Channel RAM
ASUS A7N8x mobo
AMD 2500+ BARTON
ATI 9700Pro
case, etc. your choice

Similar systems with ONLY 512 MB RAM (not 1G) running in Dual Channel setup are scoring 14,000+ in 3DMark 2001SE straight stock; NO tweaking, overclocking, etc.

ASUS: the industry standard for mobos
Corsair: the industry standard for memory(MICRON based chipset)
LiteOn: Quality/price ratio, unbeatable.
Mitsumi: the industry standard.
WD 8MB: A tough HDD to beat for the money/performance
AMD: performance/price ratio unbeatable
ATI: No doubt the king of video cards.
Power supply of NO LESS than 400 watts.
Good case with adequate(QUIET) cooling.

sorry, left out: Stick with W2kPro. IF you THINK you HAVE to HAVE XP, make sure you get the Pro version. Definitely stay away from the HOME version. 2000Pro will work great!

Flake

I have also read the reviews but most of thier other mobos are on the low end ............and they dont have a great reputation.............for what they are charging for that mobo I would get something else.
I can get the exact same ASUS board for 30$ less, except it wont be UV reactive, and doesnt come with rounded cables, carrying strap for case, FrontX and some other neat things thrown in.

And no way am I going with kingston, Took 4 sticks to get 2 working sticks last time I went with kingston.

Edit: And yeah i'm thinking I might try fooling around with overclocking.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online