1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building a computer... need some advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hoopkidups, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hoopkidups

hoopkidups Thread Starter

Hi everyone,
    I've been reading a lot of references, and have built up enough courage to try to build a computer. I've decided that I'd stick to Newegg.com, since I have read excellent reviews about it. So now I'm faced with the difficult task of picking out the right components.
    The biggest thing I'm stuck on is the Processor. My first pick was a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz, but now I'm finding out how much of a better bang for it's buck an Athlon XP is.
    I'm also not quite sure what kind of a motherboard I need.
    Finally, I can't pick out the right video card. I want a card that will be a strong gamer, but under $100.
    Basically, I want the best gaming components I can get for under $700, not including the monitor.
    I'd really apreciate some advice on good system components to fit my needs!
    Thanks! :D

2. mobo

mobo

For gaming yes the athalon xp 2500 chip would be the best bang for the buck and the board you need for that would be a socket A.

3. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Gigabyte has some incredible new motherboards out ! For the video I would spend a little bit more on the video card than only 100.00, especially since you are going to use it for gaming! I wouldn't get anything less than a ATI 9700, and a 9800 Pro if you can swing it. Truly mind blowing video cards! (y)

4. Macadonious

Macadonious

mobo is right. If however you want to do more and expand your computer later on, i would suggest a Intel processor. I am personally parsial to the Asus family as far as mobo goes. The video card I would recommend it the ATI Readeon 9000 Pro 128MB. I think you can pick it up now for under 100 dollars. Out of all this, I suggest putting more money on memory. Try to get the most you can and make your computer duel chanel if you get 2 stick or more

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    For Video get a 9500 or higher ATI card, anything under that will not do you very well with the newest Games. If you like Nvidia then a FX5700 or better is what you need.

For motherboards I recommend ASUS, MSI, or ABIT. Athlon XP's are indeed good bang for the buck. Get a 2500 Barton or better though.

6. Macadonious

Macadonious

Triple is right. If you have the money, 9500 is the way to go.

Triple, I noticed that you have a RAID 0 with 2 hard drives. Why? Why do you not make them a RAID 5 and make it a fault tolerant system?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The motherboard only supports RAID 0 or 1, backup isn't that important to me as I use DVD's for external backup and wipe my system every few months anyway.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This video card is $129 from newegg. If you go with a lesser quality card, you will not be happy at the gaming performance. As for mb, I like Epox, Asus, Abit, or Soltek [although newegg has been out of stock on Soltek for a while now] Look at what features you want then decide what board to get.

9. hoopkidups

Thanks for all your advice!

10. Macadonious

Macadonious

Makes sence...Have one more question though. How did you overclock your Kingston memory? I am only running 400MHz on my duel channel

11. hoopkidups

I kinda like a card with a bunch of games included, pretty dumb, but If there are any cards that don't have terrible prices cuz of the bundled software, I'd appreciate your help

12. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

ATI cards come with a ton of stuff...

13. hoopkidups

14. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

That board is fair, better than the others listed above, but for only a few bucks more you could get THIS board, and I guarantee you that it would blow the doors off of any other mobo on their site (except the GA-8KNXP Ultra) (y) :D

15. hoopkidups

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice