1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building a computer: recommendations needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jperryneal, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jperryneal

jperryneal Thread Starter

I've built a couple of computers, troubleshot them when their was problems, had probably hundreds of hours of maintenance/gaming on them, and have loved every minute!
    Building a computer is too much fun to consider buying one complete.
    But it has been a few years since I have done this, and I am having some problems ferreting out the new boards, etc., and would appreciate some advice.

I am building a computer not for anything specific, but need it to have enough power and RAM to be able to play with pictures, and video if desired.

I was thinking about getting an Asus with an AMD processor, 3000-4000 processor, 800 MB front side bus, and 1 GIG of DDR RAM. I didn't know if the different types of sockets made much of a difference, these days. I have always run AMD, and don't know about the different kinds of Intel processors.

I have been told to get a hard drive, SATA2, at least 160GB, with a minimum of 8MB cache, I assume 7200 RPM minimum.

Case/power supply combination, I don't know how many watts is even considered normal these days.

DVD Burner- don't think this is a biggie as to which brand, but may want a multi-layered one for backup purposes

Along with the normal modem, there is a chance that this may be set up a a server for a network at my house, eventually. So, if I didn't get the components as an integral part of the motherboard, I would need enough slots to expand.

Finally, I know that I can make a real screamer for over $1000, but I really don't need 100% cutting edge stuff. In years past, the difference between brand new, top-of-of-the-line components, and second or third place components with 90% of the speed and capability, was a lot of money, and I really like getting the most for my money.

My wife is on to me big time about slapping this together!
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank very much in advance.
    J. Perry Neal

2. jonuck

jonuck

Just my Suggest.........................................

ASUS P5LD2 ATX LGA775 I945P DDR2 PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 3PCI SATA RAID Sound GBLAN Motherboard

Intel Pentium D 820 2.8GHZ LGA775 Smithfield 800FSB 2X1MB EM64T XD Dual Core Processor Retail Box

Corsair Value Select PC2-4200 1GB 2X512MB DDR2-533 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory

ASUS GeForce 7300 GS 550MHZ 256MB 64BIT 540MHZ DDR2 Turbo Cache PCI-E VGA DVI-I HDTV Out Video Card

Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200.10 8MB 8.5MS SATA2 NCQ Hard Drive

LG GSA-H22N DVD+RW 18X8X16 DVD-RW 18X6X16 Dual Layer 8X DVD-RAM 12X DVD Writer 2MB Black OEM W/ SW (GSA-H22N/W)

Antec SLK1650B Black MID-TOWER 3X5.25 5X3.5 ATX12V 350W

This only a suggestion and can modified to suit individual taste as long as it is Black!...............................................

3. akbillj

akbillj

I also have built before but 10 or so years ago, have just started with another project, I got an Intel 975xbx extreme board and it will give me a lot of room to go either way with cutting edge or just enough to make the girl friend happy! It gives me a lot of latitude with processors, and hardware. Wish you the best, will be keeping up with your build.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/546885

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice