1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building a Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tomwi11is, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tomwi11is

tomwi11is Thread Starter

Hi,

I was hoping someone could help me. I have built myself a computer, however i have run into various problems. When I power the unit up, it powers on for around 10 seconds and then shuts down. On the screen it says something about the memory is running at single channel ??? I have no idea what is wrong.

Could someone please help me out. By all means ask me questions to try and determine what the problem is. If you need a list of hardware used, then I can get you the info.

Thanks.

2. TreyDawgMT

TreyDawgMT

Please let us know some basic information about your system:
    Model number for:
    Motherboard
    CPU
    RAM (and how much)
    Video Card
    Hard Drive
    etc...

3. tomwi11is

tomwi11is Thread Starter

The motherboard is a Gigabyte i-DNA Series Motherboard - Intel 945PL Express Chipset LGA75

Dunno what RAM it is, but it fits into the DDRII slot. And there is just one stick of 512MB
    There is a 200GB hard drive.
    There is a Pentium 4 Processor LGA 775
    ATI Radeon X700 Graphics Card.

Hope this helps.

And thanks.

4. CDBongo

CDBongo

I don't know ddr(1) ram can fit into ddr2 slots, but that MAY be your problem? Check on the ram and make sure it's ddr2
    heck, It can't hurt anything

5. TreyDawgMT

TreyDawgMT

Ok, I'm going to do some research on this motherboard, I don't have much experiance with the Intel motherboards, nor do I have much experiance with dual channel memory, so someone might beat me to the answer. But what is happening is you only have 1 memory stick installed, and you are currently running your motherboard as a dual chanell memory motherboard. To use those you need use to sticks of memory, both running at the same speed. What I'm not sure is if you can make the MOBO run as single channel memory, or if you will need to buy a second sitck of ram.

6. tomwi11is

tomwi11is Thread Starter

on the RAM stick it doesnt say anything apart from a series of numbers which are PO 156532

I got it from ebuyer and it was the value kind.

So are you saying that DDR 1 RAM can fit into DDR 2 Slots. Because my motherboard only takes DDR2 RAM so that may be the problem if the RAM I have is in fact DDR1

7. TreyDawgMT

TreyDawgMT

That is also possible. It is always best to buy RAM through a reputable dealer, and after running a memory compatiability test to ensure that stick will be compatable with your motherboard.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Dual channel memory is something the board either accepts or it does not and if your board accepts it and you only put in 1 stick of memory, then that is the way it will run.
    Ddr memory will never fit right into a ddr2 slot and it wouldn't boot up at all never mind 10 seconds. I would bet the ram isn't compatible or the video card is either not seated right or defective.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490769

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice