1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building a DVR

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by UOGAddict, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. UOGAddict

UOGAddict Thread Starter

I'm planning on turning a spare PC into a dedicated DVR.

This is the basic plan I've been going off of:
    http://lifehacker.com/software/dvr/hack-attack-build-your-own-dvr-165963.php

The PC I'm planning on using is an HP Pavilion a1620n. I got the pc for free from a friend after the hard drive went out. I put in a 500gig Seagate and installed Linux (Ubuntu).

My basic plan is to use a Hauppauge card and one of the programs listed in that article to record and play back tv.

My first concern is that I will only be able to record one channel at a time? I figured if I'm going to build a custom setup I might as well make it the way I want it. My family records many shows and sometimes the time conflict. So in short, I want to make sure the card I get can handle that.

My other concern is the video output. The PC I'm using only has the VGA output, but the cards I'm looking at have s-video out. I want to make sure the video quality is good since all live tv will also be displayed through the pc. I have a 43" Panasonic Plasma tv, so I want to make sure I'm not going to lose too much quality. I thought I might have to install another video card?

Also, are there any other upgrades I should do? The PC only has 1.5 gigs of ram, I thought I might need some more.

Any advice is appreciated, I just want to get as much knowledge as possible before spending a bunch of money on this.

Thanks guys!

Mike

2. dannyn

dannyn

the card would have to have two tv tuners to be able to handle that....
    or if you need more than two chanels you may need more than one card....
    (as far as i know the highest number of tuners in a car I! have seen is two)
    Dan

3. UOGAddict

UOGAddict Thread Starter

I figured that was the case with that.

Would it possible to do something like 2 dual channel cards?

4. dannyn

dannyn

i am not 100% sure... youd have to wait for someone more educated to give you a definite answer.... but i am pretty sure that it would work with dual cards.

5. UOGAddict

UOGAddict Thread Starter

OK, well I appreciate your help!

6. UOGAddict

UOGAddict Thread Starter

I've gotten conflicting answers when asking about running dual video tuners.

Some say you can others say you can't.

I'm so confused :(.

7. dannyn

dannyn

8. UOGAddict

UOGAddict Thread Starter

What about sending the video out? Is just using the s-video jack on the card going to be the easiest way, or should I look into a better card?

9. dannyn

dannyn

uhm... i would think that you would use you the video card that is already in you system. you may need to upgrade to a better video card depending on the one you are using and the size of the tv you want it displayed on.

10. UOGAddict

UOGAddict Thread Starter

Yeah, the pc just has on-board video. I'm going to have this hooked up to a 43" widescreen so I don't think that will work too well.

11. dannyn

dannyn

that is correct. you will need to buy another card. is it an hd tv?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice