Building a forum, how?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

webkajah

I've been thinking of setting up a forum, can't place my hands on any startup. Any help?

Get software. I suggest SMF (free) or vBulletin (paid).
Not phpBB, lots of spam/hackers go after phpBB

Get hosting. Some good hosts include CoolHandle, StableHost, EasyCGI.
I would avoid the "big companies" you may already know, like Godaddy, Lunarpages or Hostgator. Support is often not as good at those big places, too many customers. CoolHandle and Stable are excellent companies you've never heard of, because they don't plaster ads everywhere.

Read install docs, install. Note that some hosts claim to have "1-click easy install" for software, but these are almost always outdated insecure versions that are likely to get hacked. So don't go with a host based on this "easy install" BS. Install the most recent version yourself.

It's not terribly difficult. It's not as specialized as e-commerce or some of the CMS out there.

Good luck! Let us know what the forum's about. (y)

colinsp

Colin
Another recommendation for SMF it just works, easy to install and administer.

You can also consider MyBB as another free alternative :).
vBulletin is the best paid forum script.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts