1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building a gaming computer $550 budget. Total Noob.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by apekzhrk, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. apekzhrk

apekzhrk Thread Starter

Hey guys I am a complete noob when it comes to computers and I am trying to build a computer for gaming. Currently I have a pre-assembled desktop computer from best buy (VAIO) from about 5 years ago.
    specs:
    CPU: Pentium 4 3ghz
    RAM: 1gb of ram
    GPU: Radeon x800
    Vaio Case
    crap power suply

As you can see, I have a crap computer. With this, I can barely run games like L4D2 or TF2 at very low settings. To play bioshock, I have to set everything low which makes the game just pitch black and unplayable. I was wondering if it is possible to build a computer (motherboard, case, psu, cpu, gpu) that is decent for gaming and under 550$. I am not looking for a hardcore gaming computer... just enough to run the games I have such as CSS, L4D2, TF2, Bioshock, Atlantica Online, at medium to high settings.

I tried to research about computers on my own but it just seems like there are too many things to know about when building a computer. That is the reason why I joined this forum for suggestions.

I was wondering if you guys can help me build a decent gaming computer by pointing out which things to buy for optimal performance with a 550$ budget limit. (lower the better of course :) )

I know this is asking a lot and I'm sure if I researched hard enough I would be able to do so myself... but I would really appreciate it if you guys help me out here.

Thank you very much!

2. Ecf1

Ecf1

3. apekzhrk

apekzhrk Thread Starter

wow thank you for the fast response! I already have an XP for OS so I don't have to buy that.

Are the no brand name products risky to buy? The build you just made seems really tempting to buy but how risky would it be to buy them?

4. Ecf1

Ecf1

It's not that risky. Newegg has a pretty good return policy

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/880441

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice