1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building a Gaming Laptop..?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JKB, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JKB

JKB Thread Starter

Hi TechGuy Forums!

So, my current laptop is starting to show it's cracks and flaws, the battery lasts something like half an hour to an hour, and despite keeping my system clean of crap (too much files and any viruses/malware or otherwise) it is progressively getting slower and slower.

For certain tasks it runs fine, it seems to be able to handle running Photoshop, Illustrator, and Word all at the same time (when I'm doing design and coursework at the same time) without too much difficulty, but then other tasks which seem simple it can have a real struggle with (start up for one is getting much slower (yes I monitor and change my startup apps) and web browsing too).

To add to this, I lack a system powerful enough to be able to run most games that are released nowadays, and while I am not a heavy PC gamer anymore I still like to have the option, as certain games that are being released soon are ones I am very interested in (Star Wars Old Republic, Diablo 3..).

My current situation is living in a shared flat with friends (I am a student) and I do all of my work on my laptop and have got used to the ease of use with a laptop and can't really imagine going back to a pc when it's just one extra big thing i have to move when i finally move into a new place, and I now want to put some money into getting a better system that can handle everything I need it to do, I use my laptop for a variety of things such as design, film editing & rendering, and gaming.

What I need to know is, what is the best way to go about buying (or building through a website) a new laptop that has been designed to handle gaming.. What do you recommend I go for? Is there any pre-made gaming laptops that you would recommend (I have looked at Alienware and some others I'm just not sure if they are worth it?) or should I go ahead and build my own through a website and if so what website?

My maximum budget is likely around £750. Any advice would be appreciated guys.

Cheers,
    J.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Try here. http://www.alienware.com/ Gaming Laptops are not very plentiful Though I am sure you could get both Acer and HP to say theirs are great gamers.

3. JKB

JKB Thread Starter

Thankyou, like I said I have already had a look at their website and what is available, I'm just looking for more opinions on other options if possible.

Thanks,
    J

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    My advice would be to hit the big name manufacturer sites. Stay away from the Acer Group which includes eMachines, Gateway, and Packard Bell.

As far as I am concerned, Alienware computers are designed from the ground up as gaming machines. I am not a gamer, but my next laptop purchase (not in the immediate future but 6 moths or so) is going to be an Alienware.

5. JKB

JKB Thread Starter

Could you say more on why to stay away from the Acer group? I have an Acer now, and although I've found it good spec for the price I paid, mine has a major issue with overheating, the thing has one vent at the back and a small one at the front and from some research ALOT of people have had the same problem - is it this kind of thing why you have said stay away from Acer?

Anyway, so even for you who is not a gamer, you consider an Alienware laptop as good spec for money and as a high performance laptop? thanks for your thoughts & opinion.

Any more from anyone else would be appreciated also.

J.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    the acer group including the brands I have already mentioned are frought with problems in general. Not to mention their tech support is very poor. They use low quality components, and though they may last quite a while, they also have a somewhat higher chance of dying very shortly after the warranty expires or before.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    And yes I do consider Alienware worth the money for a high end performance laptop. Their desktops are great as well, though I won't buy one of them for myself, I build all my personal desktops geared toward my own uses.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031115

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice