1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building a Linux Cluster

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Snorii, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snorii

Snorii Thread Starter

I want to maximize my parallel CPU power for my budget.

I've worked up this node configuration:

Processor: AMD Athlon XP2400 $72.99
    Motherboard: Biostar M7VKQ-Pro $46.99
    Memory: K-Byte 256Mb PC2100 DDR $49.99
    Hard Drive: Seagate 40Gb 7200 $59.99
    Case: Antec Minuet Slimline 220W PS $61.99
    CPU fan: Low Profile Copper Cooler $18.00
    Case fan: Sunon 40x40x10mm slim $6.99

Total: $316.94

I was thinking that 3Ghz intel CPU/boards cost twice as much with only a 20% gain in CPU speed -- with these 2.4Ghz Athlons I can increase our total CPU work/time by 60% for the same amount of money. (Then I found out about hyperthreading, so that confused me some more.)

Do you think 220W is enough -- the CPU will have to run 99.9% for days-weeks-months at a time but there are no cards or disk drives to draw other power (the motherboard is microATX and has onboard video and ethernet -- after installing linux I can transfer files by front USB key or local eithernet).

Would rackmount boards be better? I've never even seen one.
    How would you build a cluster if it were up to you?

I think all the websites for these components are directron.com, tigerdirect.com and frozencpu.com.

2. Snorii

Snorii Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217900

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice