1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building a machine with all the parts I want

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by caleb87, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. caleb87

caleb87 Thread Starter

I know the parts I want, but I've never put a computer together and I don't want to end up pulling me hair out. The issue is, I can't find anyone that has ALL the parts I want. I've seen some websites that offer 2400MHz RAM, but only 32GB worth. Sure, I could add more, but I haven't done it before and don't want to pull out my hair.

What I'm looking for is:
    Asus X79 Rampage IV
    Intel i7 3960 or 3970
    64GB 2400MHz or even 2133MHz
    2x 4GB GTX 680

And all the basic stuff, like SSDs, quality fans, cases, etc.

So the question: Does anyone know a company that will put all this together for a reasonable price? I've got almost all the parts I'd need in my cart at Tiger Direct for $4700, including Windows 7 Ultimate, etc. I would expect to pay for assembly, but if a company wants 2-3k to assemble it, then no thanks.

2. replay

replay Temporarily Banned

buy all the parts u want (newegg.com) then take it to a local computer shop and see what they will charge to assemble
    ..or u could assemble it yourself with help from .....this site/youtube/online

also why on earth do u want 64gb's of ram???

3. dai

dai

4. caleb87

caleb87 Thread Starter

I want 64GB of RAM to run GIS programs with no glitch. I loaded a browser on my laptop yesterday with 7k rows of table data, and it froze for 1-2 minutes. Since I make my money through a computer, I'd want to ensure no glitching or freezing. I want instant.

I'm considering going with a Sabertooth mobo and cheaper 1600MHz RAM (since almost no one offers 64GB of 1833). I don't fully understand MHz, but 1600/2400 = 1/3 difference. It almost seems like a shame.

I've thought about taking it to a computer store, but I am currently in a small town about 2 hours from even a Best Buy. It would be nice to just order it online without getting raped. I'm surprised how many companys sell a $289 monitor at Tiger Direct for $330.

5. caleb87

caleb87 Thread Starter

BTW, I've taken computers apart and put back together, but it was all just plug in and it works. I've also deleted partitions and reinstalled OS, messed with mobo settings, etc. If I buy all the parts, do you all think I could get the system working properly?

6. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Based on that post, I don't think you will have any problems. As long as the parts aren't actually faulty (can happen occasionally even with brand new parts) 'plug and play' is essentially all you need to do .. other than installing the OS etc which you say you have done before anyway.:D

Just don't rush it, be methodical and plan it. It really isn't as scarey as many people believe it to be.

7. donsor

donsor

I just want to bring this up in the hopes that others won't make my mistakes. I just completed assembling my new rig and eventually I got everything going right. This was my third BYO rig nad one learns something new every time. My problem involved compatibility with components including video cards, memory and operating system. I started with Win7 HomEd Full version and 32 Gs of memory stick. Well, the OS wont accept nothing but 16 Gs. I decided to go Win7 Ultimate. I ended up replacing my video cards with three different models. The bottom line is when you ID the components you want, make sure that they are compatible in all respects. Verify your info with the manufacturer themselves as PC tech sales sometimes make mistakes.

8. caleb87

caleb87 Thread Starter

Yep, I've thought about that, which is why I'm going to post all my parts here and hope a tech wizard can tell me lol. I've done a lot of research and I Tiger Direct shows a lot of information about the MOBO like memory limits, form factors, etc., so I don't think it'll be too far off and since i"ll be buying Windows 7 Ultimate I can't imagine too many issues - but just saying that I've probably jinxed myself. lol

Truth is, maybe I don't need 64GB of RAM, but I do want a machine that is as fast as can be. GIS uses a ton of memory, but I don't really know exactly. I doubt it's 64GB. I can't stand freezing; and I just bought a Sony Vaio laptop which Best Buy said was their "best" one, and it's a POS. Given, it has Windows 8, which is completely horrifying in itself.

9. donsor

donsor

Max on my new mobo is 32 Gs. I installed four 8 G sticks but only 16 was being recognized seeing that my OS was Win7 HomEd 64 bit. I installed three different video cards (HD 6670, HD 6770 and finally HD 7770) None of them worked. I decided to install Win7 Ultimate 64 bit and kept the HD 7770, then things started to work. With the exception of a few devices whereby I need to upgrade the drivers my new PC is now fully operational. I just need to fumble my way learning Win7 since all I've worked with in the past was WinXP.

10. replay

installed three different video cards (HD 6670, HD 6770 and finally HD 7770) None of them worked.

did u find out why none of them worked???

11. donsor

donsor

The first two worked when installed with a different PC but didn't work with Win7 so I assume its either because of incompatibility with the motherboard and/or the Win7. But when the HD 7770 worked when I installed Win7 Ultimate, why I don't know.

12. caleb87

caleb87 Thread Starter

Ok gentleman, I've put a list of parts together. I suspect there aren't too many people with time enough to run through a list, but maybe there's that guy who should be working but he's on techguy.org instead... like me ;)

Anyway, I've attached a screenshot of all the parts. One thing I'm not sure of is if I need to buy other cables.

Attached Files:

13. replay

a few thoughts:

u don't really need the $200 sound card...... the onboard is prob' excellent
    the power supply is way overpriced $240 u can get a decent corsair for about $80-90
    water cooling a cpu can be a pain in the long run (leaks etc)
    ssd harddrives are great...... u might want to buy regular larger harddrive for pics music etc ASWELL
    also look at NEWEGG.COM and compare prices of your list......... u might save some cash

14. replay

they are compatible with win7 for sure......... power supply not powerfull enough????

15. caleb87

caleb87 Thread Starter

When I was building a similar machine several websites said I didn't have enough power. Usually the setup said 1200+, so that's why I chose that one. I also don't much beyond PSUs, but I don't want a pile that is going to burn up in 6 months. I live by the motto "you get what you pay for".

Any thought as to which PSU specifically would work well for this setup?

Also, I plan to add a 3 or 4TB drive later, as well as an additional 32GB of RAM.

Good idea on the water cooling. I don't know anything at all about it. Should I just scrap it and save myself $120?

And, you certain that card isn't going to go well with my $400 boes system?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087627

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice