1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building a Network Server using Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dsuratman, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dsuratman

dsuratman Thread Starter

Hello,
    I'd like to build a network at home. I'd like to have a server to which I can connect my other computers. Do I need a server OS? Or I can use my Windows 2000? What hardware do I need? Do I need two network cards installed on my server?

Could you also please tell me good links (or books) where I can search for some information related to this topic?

Thanks,
    dsuratman

2. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

What do you want your server to do? If you want to run a domain, then you will need a Server version of windows (or if you really wanna have fun, you can run a domain controller using linux)

3. dsuratman

dsuratman Thread Starter

I'd like to run a domain, so I guess need a Server version of windows. Hmm, that's going to be expensive right? I'm trying to stay away from Linux because I think it's harder for me compare to the Microsoft's OS'es.

4. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

5. dsuratman

dsuratman Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Hopefully this is a good start. I'm actually hoping someday I can be MCSE/MCSD/MCAD. Any suggestion where to start? Thanks once again

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice