Building a Network Server using Windows 2000

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dsuratman

Hello,
I'd like to build a network at home. I'd like to have a server to which I can connect my other computers. Do I need a server OS? Or I can use my Windows 2000? What hardware do I need? Do I need two network cards installed on my server?

Could you also please tell me good links (or books) where I can search for some information related to this topic?

Thanks,
dsuratman

What do you want your server to do? If you want to run a domain, then you will need a Server version of windows (or if you really wanna have fun, you can run a domain controller using linux)

dsuratman

I'd like to run a domain, so I guess need a Server version of windows. Hmm, that's going to be expensive right? I'm trying to stay away from Linux because I think it's harder for me compare to the Microsoft's OS'es.

dsuratman

Thanks for the info. Hopefully this is a good start. I'm actually hoping someday I can be MCSE/MCSD/MCAD. Any suggestion where to start? Thanks once again

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online