1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building A new computer from scratch.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by znovotz, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. znovotz

znovotz Thread Starter

I built a new computer. And I want to use the HDD from my old computer (the one I am typing this on now), in the new computer. I put this HDD in the new comp and Tuned it on and went through the Bios setup with the MB manual. and everything went ok then I saved and exited the bios setup and was hoping to load windows up just like on my old puter. anyways to make a longer story short windows wouldn't load. can what i am trying to do be done or should i just get a new copy of windows and start from scratch?

2. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

A new copy of Windows will be required.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The Windows already installed on the old HDD includes the drivers for that computer's devices, not your new one.

If you have a retail (not purchased along with a computer) Windows XP CD you can install that on the new computer and change the registration.

4. znovotz

znovotz Thread Starter

thanks I got it woking now. I did a reinstall once I got the CD rom to boot, following the rules in a different thread.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!