1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

building a new computer.. need advice overclocking etc.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sphinx, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

I used to build computers, but for the last few years I haven't kept up to date with the newest technology, mainly processors/motherboards and video cards.
    I want to build a computer that I can overclock. Any motherboards, CPUs to recommend for this?

I want to have a good video card that I can get 50fps+ on games like world of warcraft. Doesn't need to be overkill though i dont want to spend over 250$ on it. Less would be much preferable.

How does RAM work nowadays? Last I remember was DDR400 ram. I hear the new ram is DDR2 but it has a higher latency which cancels out its faster speed? I want to synch the memory in 1:1 ratio with both the cpu frequency and memory frequency overclocked a little bit.
    For example if I have a 3ghz cpu at 15 x 200mhz and DDR400 ram (2 x 200mhz), id want to try to get it up to something like 15 x 233mhz and RAM at (2x233 =566mhz). Are heatspreaders necessary for hte memory when overclocking?

I dont want to overclock to the point where I need water cooling. I have a good case with excellent air flow so I think that should hold up to a certain point.

Basically I just need help with what parts are around nowadays - what mobos / cpus good for overclocking, what RAM, what video card..

Thanks

2. Sponsor

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

I also wanted to know how do you test for stability after overclocking?

What does raising the vcore do? (vcpp)

4. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

i also wanted to ask. For a p4 3ghz with 2 sticks ram, sound card, video cafrd, 2 cd drives, 1 hard drive, what size PS supply should i have?

Right now I have an antec 350 w truepower supply. I used a calculator and it said the minimum i had was about 315 for that configuration.. so 350 should be fne right?

5. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

What does "By SPD" mean for memory settings. Also what does raising the memory voltage core do and why would it be necssary? same for the cpu vcore - why?

6. batharoy

batharoy

SPD definition

Prime95 for testing.

Your PSU is quality and running an older system, should be fine. (Seems your specs are similar to mine, read in my profile).

As for the voltages, raising them effectively pushes more power to the respective components.
    While this can allow for a higher OC it also produces more heat. Make sure you have adequate cooling.

Heat spreaders are not usually needed if your case has good airflow for cooling.

Unless your MB BIOS supports PCI and/or AGP lock they will also rise when OC'ing causing instability.

7. damnmachines

damnmachines

350 should be fine, I build 2U's with a similar set up, minus the extra cd rom.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/614787