1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building A New Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ravens42, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ravens42

Ravens42 Thread Starter

Hello

Well, heres the basic story, My computer is literally dead now, I have done everything i can ive even asked forums to help, They've helped to But now i think its time for a fresh start,A whole new computer, Im planning to keep the same case though, My only problem is the budget i only have £200, What can is the best hardware i can get for a building a new computer, Any Ideas?

Thanks All In Advance :)

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Hey there, :)

What sort of case and power supply do you currently have available?

Jack-O-Bytes

3. Ravens42

Ravens42 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply, Im unsure on the case ive got but i have a ASRock K78SX Motherboard, That may help you determine the size of the case, Also my power supply is a 450Watt, Although i am prepared to up that if necessary

4. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

OK then. Quite a bit of space to work with and also a not too bad sounding power supply. This computer will not be majorly fast but for £200 I would be happy with this setup.

Motherboard - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/181968
    CPU - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/242140
    RAM - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/178943
    Hard Drive - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124228
    DVD-RW Drive - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/220988

That has a quad core CPU with 4GB DDR3 RAM which will be very speedy. The computer doesn't have a dedicated graphics card so it won't be any good at gaming just be fast at everyday tasks such as playing music, web browsing and also running online flash games, youtube. That sort of stuff.

Jack-O-Bytes

5. Ravens42

Ravens42 Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply, This does look good indeed, Do you reckon the 450 watt power supply will be able to work with it all?, Also if i did Not get the DVD Drive and hard drive would i be able to get a dedicated graphics card instead? Can i use my old hard drive from my old computer and put it in the new one?

6. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Were the problems you were having with your old computer caused from Hardware or Software issues? If it was software issues then I recommend that you go for a new drive as well. Also I don't think that your windows will work with the new setup because it will notice that it is a different computer. It is probably best to go for a fresh setup and just copy files over that you need. If your current computer has the XP key on the side and you can find an XP install CD that is the same as the version you currently have then I think you will be able to use that key on the new install in the new setup.

I wouldn't really recommend a dedicated graphics card with a 450w PSU that old. How old is it btw? I am just guessing it is fairly old as the motherboard you have is quite aged now.

Jack-O-Bytes

7. Ravens42

Ravens42 Thread Starter

They were caused by hardware issues before, My computer would just start up and making the 3 bios beeps meaning RAM Problems, Although i bought new RAM and it still made those beeps, 3 Bios beeps i think mean somethings wrong the RAM usually. Unfortunately i dont have the XP Install disk Nor the XP Key either, Ive had this computer for quite a while now, I think it came with Built In XP, And the PSU Is fairly old as well.

8. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Hmmm. Now I am stuck for what to do about that. I mean that PSU would run that setup but I am not sure for how long. I would have to advise a new power supply now to be honest. I am going to have another look on ebuyer now to see what I can do.

Jack-O-Bytes

9. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

10. Ravens42

Ravens42 Thread Starter

Okay thanks for the reply, But just wondering since i probably wont use this computer for extreme gaming or that, Would i say be able to get decent stuff to make the computer for under £150? I know its a bit lower but i dont mind the specs being lower,

11. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Yeah I recon so. Give me a minute and I will have a good look :)

12. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

13. Ravens42

Ravens42 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, But I was just wondering how much would it cost to add a new hard drive and windows 7 (Either Professional Or Ultimate) as well the rest of the other hardware,Would it be possible to get it for Under £200? Or £250 at max, If you are able to, Would you able to show me the hardware please? :)

14. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

15. Ravens42

Ravens42 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, Hmm, Its looks Okay, But do you think its just worth sticking with XP for the moment? And also Would i just have to put back the hard drive in the new computer as normal, Will it boot up normally if i did that? Once i had put all the new hardware in,

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977563

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice