Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Building a new CPU

883 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
Hi i am trying to build a cpu however i am contemplating if i should be going for amd or intel.
I am not a gamer thus the cpu is more of multitasking.
Win 7 will be the OS.
I am comparing the below specs hope all of you can provide me with some help :)

1)
AMD Phenom II X4 925 black edition processor
Asus engt430 2gb ddr3 hdmi
Kingston pc3-1333 (2gb x 2)
harddisk 500gb
casing - cooler master elite 335 / 310
psu - cooler master extreme 460w

2)
asus m4a785td-v evo
amd phenom II X4 955 black edition
harddisk 500gb
pov geforxe st240 1gb ddr3
Kingston pc3-1333 (2gb x 2)

3)
intel core i5-650 processor lga 1156
asus P7H55M
Kingston pc3-1333 4gb since they have only 1 slot
harddisk 500gb

See less See more
#2 ·
Intel generally runs a little more expensive and if you don't need too much for gaming or 3d design or anything like that, I'd probably go with the AMD to save money, the 925 preferably. You don't really need a black edition unless you plan on overclocking it, which it doesn't seem like you wan't to do, but given the 3 choices above.

I'd suggest build 1.

#3 ·
I'd go for the i5. Silent, cool and fast. My latest builds from AMD run way too noisy and hot.

The P7H55M doesn't have a single RAM slot (that's impossible for the dual channel memory architecture of the processor) so you can go for the same memory modules of the AMD options.

I've had a cooler master elite 335, it's a great low-price case choice. :)

#5 ·
I'd go for the i5. Silent, cool and fast. My latest builds from AMD run way too noisy and hot.
Then you are not building them correctly. My overclocked 965 [@4.0] is dead silent and running right now @32C. HSF speed is 650rpm on an arctic freezer pro hsf. The only noise is a very muted hum from the case fans and hsf.

For the original poster, either intel or amd will do a fine job for you. I have both intel and amd systems running here. FWIW I prefer the amds over the intels however that is just personal preference.

#6 ·
Then you are not building them correctly. My overclocked 965 [@4.0] is dead silent and running right now @32C. HSF speed is 650rpm on an arctic freezer pro hsf. The only noise is a very muted hum from the case fans and hsf.

For the original poster, either intel or amd will do a fine job for you. I have both intel and amd systems running here. FWIW I prefer the amds over the intels however that is just personal preference.
Yea that might be true xD... but also, I didn't consider buying a better cooler, all I had was stock cooling and that's what I was comparing.

#7 ·
Yea that might be true xD... but also, I didn't consider buying a better cooler, all I had was stock cooling and that's what I was comparing.
Even with a stock cooler, they are VERY quiet. My home theater system uses the stock amd cooler and the loudest noise comes from the hard drive One raptor is pretty loud along with the other 750gig drive. Really with cool&quiet enabled in the bios, amds are as quiet or quieter than a comparable intel of the same speed, # of cores, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.