1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

building a new desktop pc, any recommendations for parts?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sphinx, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

I haven't built a pc in a while so I'm not completely up to date with the new technologies.

1) I will be using an intel quad core 2 processor

2) Any recommendations for the best motherboard to go with this? I would like one that allows for fairly easily overclocking. I am not an overclocking freak but I would like the ability to overclock a small amount.

3) Any recommendations for memory (what speed memory works well with the FSB of this cpu. What memory timing settings should I look for).

4) Hard Drive (I assume I'll be looking at SATA drives 7200rpm. Anything new in particular I should be looking for?

5) Video Card. Has to be a good video card but price limit would be about $250.

6) what kind of power supply (wattage) do I need.

I am basically looking for people's inputs on motherboard & memory combinations that have known to work extremely well and stable with this CPU, and with each other.

I'll be installing windows xp SP3 for the system.

Thanks,
    Tyler

2. thatoneguy24

thatoneguy24

alot of these things seem to be personal preference items, but heres a couple of things i used on my recent build:

MB: i would recommend sticking with an intel chipset such as p45 express or if you can spare the change, the x48. ASUS boards can overclock a fair amount, but just remember to check out the manufacturer's website

Memory: most board makers have a memory compatibility listed on their site. also, try to pick memory speed that matches up with the actual FSB (this is the QSB listed divided by 4). for example, if the chip you want runs at 1600 Mhz QSB, the actual FSB is 400. so a good choice for RAM would be something that runs around 400 (such as DDR2-800)

Video Card: for that price point, i recommend the HD4870 from ATI. cant beat the price/performance ratio at that level.

PSU: dont skimp here! spend a little extra cash, make sure you have at least 700 to 800 watts to future proof your rig a little.

good luck my friend. just pick out some parts, and then list them here. theres guys on here a lot smarter than i am that will help you out and make recommendations. happy hunting.

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

Ok, so with a 1600mhz (4*400mhz FSB), use DDR2-800mhz memory? Is that a better idea than using DDR3 memory that has a higher clock speed? If I understand right, doesn't DDR3 memory generally have worse timings than DDR2?

Any other ideas for CPU/memory configurations?

4. BG-0

BG-0

The memory clock:FSB ratio is not actually the most dominant spec when looking for performance, but 4*400 FSB + DDR2 800mhz with low timings, (let's say 4-4-4-12 (sometimes marked simply as CL4) or lower if you can find some and maybe pre-installed heatsinks) will be good. DDR3, I don't think it's worth the money just yet, true, they have high clocks, but high timings too. For the HDD, get something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152100
    PSU: make sure it is a quality one! 700-800W quality (Antec, OCZ, Sparkle, and.. Can't really remember now, there are many threads in which you'll find more brands if you don't like any of these) PSUs cost quite a lot, over 100 $ I reckon, but it's worth the thing it won't wreck your system the first time it is under full load. Video card: agreeing totally with thatoneguy. It will be quite exactly 250 after rebate.

5. Quecomputing/guy

Quecomputing/guy

If you want the great gaming experience and still save $$$$ then build an AMD system, ok I know you Intel guys will be on me like wolves. Save your money on the proc and mainboard and invest it in gaming memory and video.
    Here is a system I have for gaming and it receives many compliments even from Intel guys.

AMD 6000+ 3ghz dual core because you don't touch both cores in games most of the time. $113
    Foxconn SLI board to many retarded numbers to list here(email me if you want to know the model)$65
    2 gig CL 4 OCZ reaper 800 mhz $70
    2 320 gig 16 mgb cache seagate sata2 drives in raid 0(would go with 2 250gig 32 mgb cache drives if I built it today)$75 each
    2 Zotac amped 8800 GT vid cards $160 each
    windows XP pro x64 $139
    Antec 900 case $65
    slightly overclocked system
    3Dmark 06 13,497
    run COD4 at 120FPS comfortably can run much higher, but get PB kicked
    Not a monster but for under $1000 I think it is quite a performer. As I said slightly overclocked, I have more room, but it would not make gaming better so it is silly IMHO

6. Compiler

Compiler

Games are starting to make use of 2+ core CPUs. With the pricing falling, quads should be fairly standard for 2009.

AMD 6000 and faster can blow up on mobos anyways due to thermal issues. One reason I didn't go AMD again on my latest system.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sphinx
    1) Q6600 = best deal for $180~200, OC to 3.0Ghz way to easy. Artic Cooler recommended for the cooler - $28 at newegg.

2) Mobo: Gigabyte P35 = $85 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128337 great board. P45s are better to have with PCIe 2.0, but they are a bit on the buggy end, too new. X48 boards costs $250+ Not worth it. When you REALLY need PCIe 2.0, you can upgrade later for less.

3) memory: Corsair and G.Skill worked great for me on these boards. 1066Mhz recommened. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231172 on budget - but Corsair = better.

4) Hard Drive : Any SATA drive you want.

5) Video Card.: $250? ATI 4870 hands down. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&Description=4870&bop=And&Order=PRICE

6) Power Supply? Corsair - 650~750watts.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...tion=Corsair Power Supply&bop=And&Order=PRICE About $100

get a good Antec, Coolermater or Thermlatake case. Antec 900 is nice... or a Thermaltake Mozart TX ;)

7. Quecomputing/guy

Quecomputing/guy

Compiler,
    No heat issues with AMD with over 200 AMD new builds. I am an OEM and custom system builder I have been in business for 3+ years. Before I started my own business I worked in the computer industry 7 years. I build AMD exclusively and have had no bad procs or any warranties on them. In the K7 days I would have agreed with you but AMD is very stable and very reliable. You can overclock Intel much higher and easier, but it does not improve your gaming experience on high end machine, only gives you bragging rights. If you burn AMD procs drop me an email and I will give you contact info and I will help you learn the AMD way.;) I give 3 year warranties on all my new AMD systems so I have utmost confidence in all the hardware I advise people to buy.
    Sincerely,
    Greg

8. BG-0

BG-0

Quad core Intels are more economic, and have more L2 than AMDs. Dual core AMDs(lessay Athlon X2 64) are more economic, under 6000+. From what I've seen. For top-end I'd recommend Intel, though I'll build an AMD setup as soon as my parts arrive. I'm going budget game rig building. AMD is great quality, but it just doesn't cope when the price isn't everything... By reading numbers, that is. :eek:

9. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for great inputs...

For the video card I am leaning toward the ATI 4870 that people keep mentioning.

I am leaning toward intel quad core because money isn't really an issue at the moment (that could, of course change, as we all know)...

I am getting a little confused about bus speeds... the first replier recommended a quad core intel cpu with 1600mhz (4*400mhz) bus, along with ddr2 memory at 800mhz (pc6400). However I have not been able to find any intel cpus with 1600mhz bus??

The highest i've found is the quad core 9000 series with 1333mhz. I am leaning toward the quad core 9550 with 12MB L2 and 1333mhz bus. Should I use 1333mhz memory with this? I specifically want memory with low timings - I would rather have low timings than higher clock speed on memory any day.

Now I do want to overclock somewhat, because afterall what's the point of not overclocking a quad or duo core?!! I do not have too much experience in ocing, so can someone give me a recommendation for settings...
    for example the 9550 is clocked at 2.83ghz oem. What are the multiplier settings for this and what would be a small, but generous boost? When increasing the clock speed of the cpu how do I proportionally increase that of the video card and memory to stay 1:1

Power supply I will probably go with antec 700watts (sounds about right).

And for the motherboard I would assume an intel chipset one would be ideal?

Thanks everyone for the very useful info,
    Sphinx

10. Compiler

Compiler

Sphinx

133mhz DDR3 is very expensive. The performance boost over DDR2 isn't there. The next round of chips from Intel (Core3) will require DDR3 - but you're talking totally new CPU socket and mobo, etc. As stated, DDR1066 for OC.

OC the 9550 is limited with its higher bus. Pay $550 for a 2.8Ghz CPU... fine. I'm enjoying my $190 CPU at 3.0Ghz... I can get 3.2, but the timings work better at 3.0 and don't want to over-stress the CPU. Doesn't stop others from doing 3.3~3.4Ghz with the Q6600. The FASTEST overclocked Intel is the Q6600 at over 5Ghz! Usable Q6600 with water cooling is in the mid 4Ghz range.

Again about the memory - you talk about timing. 1066DDR2 is a lot lower than 1333mhz DDR3 at 2-3x the cost.

- I'd take a Corsair over Antec in PSU.

- Motherboard brand givin. Gigabyte.

Quecomputing/guy
    Thats nice... I've been in the PC business for 14 years, and Amiga 4 years before that. Built and sold only AMD systems since the KT266A days (2002) - about 7 years, many of them are still running. The only ones that died is when a client went nuts and destroyed all his office equipment - uh no longer my client ;)

An AMD 5400 has excellent value at 2.8Ghz for $85~90. Its 65watts and works on any AM2/AM2+ board without worrying about the power issues. I've only recently gone to Intel in the past few months. That's a bit of AMD fault (rest is Intel's anti-competitive practices which kept AMD down = less $$$ for R&D) for not making their Quads and Dual cores as competitive as Intels.

I'm happy with my AMDs, that I left it in my sig.

11. BG-0

BG-0

Low timings give better gaming performance(than just great clock, 1333 or 1600), I hear. Still, clock affects the performance. So, 1066 MHz RAM with lowest available timings could be the best solution... For mobo, Compiler pointed out the things you should mention. But then again, you just might want to upgrade to two radeon 4870s some day. Crossfire board could be hot stuff. I think this guide could prove useful. http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2188782,00.asp

12. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

The reason I wanted the q9000 series was for the 45nm core, which provides a much lower heat per area ratio. For fan I would probably just use the thermaltake 120 (anyone know how loud it is?) Water cooling is a possibility but I've never done it before and don't really see a need to.

Assumming I used 1066mhz DDR2 RAM , but the CPU was a 1333mhz FSB, then I would be running in asynchronous mode (5/6 or whatever that ratio is), and I would need to adjust the voltages for not just vcore but the other things as well? Also, why is there a need to adjust memory voltage if running at the stock clock speed and timings?

also, is all ddr2 memory dual channel?

(sorry for all the questions)
    Thanks,
    Sphinx

13. Compiler

Compiler

The difference in temps aren't totally earth shattering, its not like AMD quads ;(

Artic Cooler is almost as cool as the T-120 but is far more quiet and costs under $30. Highest rating on newegg. My Q6600 at 3.0Ghz is about 45c on load (I've yet to actually use ArticSilver and my case isn't the best at cooling) I've not changed the voltage on my CPU or memory.

14. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

Also I forgot to ask, is an Ultra 600Watt power supply good enough for this config-

quad core cpu, either q9550 or q6600 or q9300
    4gb ddr2 memory, 1066mhz most likely (pc8500)
    ATI HD4870 video card
    some decent sound card
    1 dvd burner
    2 or 3 fans (120mm)
    500gb sata-300 hard drive 7200rpm
    either an x48 or p45 chipset motherboard

15. filerz

filerz

Just reading through this, and i think Q6600 is a quad to go for :p
    I havent got 1 but ALOT of people have said how easy they are to overclock, get it to 3ghz and you would of saved alot of dosh!
    Of course not all Chips are the same and you could get terribly unlucky :p But i doubt it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/736872

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice