1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building a new pc-questions/problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tezcat, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tezcat

tezcat Thread Starter

Hi everyone.

I am building myself a pc (spec below), and have encountered a few interesting things/pronblems that if at all possible I would like some

help with, also I need some pointers I'm not a home build virgin, but the last 2 were put together and play situations, whereas this time I

would like to get the most juice out of my parts as possible. so here goes.

I went for the best balance of power to cash value I could with a view to getting some overclocking done, the case is nice and cool with 2

extra case fans keeping things chilly

os =win2k
    Mobo = Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9
    HD = WDCaviar 160GB SATA 8MB cache 7200
    RAM = Twinmos twister pc 3200 400mhz 1Gig (2x256MB 1x 512MB)
    Case = Thermaltake Shark
    Gfx = Saphire Radeon X700 Pro 256MB
    CPU = AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8GHz
    Audio = SB Audigy 2 (not installed yet)
    Monitor = IIyama 17" ProLite E435S-B TCO-99 10ms
    psu = Fortron 400w
    optical = some crappy dvd burner needs upgrade.

Questions:

1.Firstly Is there some source reference where I can find out what the different bios settings/ timings voltages etc do, because in the

manual it doesnt explain what they actually do, just the name and what it can be set to.

2.If anyone has a similar system it would also be interesting to see what their bios is set to too. or if any1 can guide me to the best

settings for my rig i would be much obliged, however understanding the settings is also important as I want to learn.

3.what is this t2 and t1 business? i will set mine so t2 is disabled but what does this actually do?

4. should i use the turbo feature for the grafix card?

problems:

1.I can only use 768 of the ram, when I try and place the second 256 dimm in it doesnt boot, just beeps at me. loudly. have switched 256

modules to check that one isnt faulty. (The ram is CL2 but I also have have 3 CL3 dimms of crucial of the same spec in another machine, is

there much disadvantage here if i just switch?) I have them occupying the first purple slot and the first orange slot, to get them runnung

in dual mode. (want to run 1Gig of ram at the least, and in duel channel)

2.HDD, have I got it connected correctly? sata cable, sata power, and regular power attached (3 cables in total) Im asking this because

even though it is 160Gig when i pop in my windows 2000 CD it sees it as 131Gig. loosing 29 Gigs isnt something I like at all, when i popped

into the raid facility for a peek it had WD160 written.
    how do i solve this? should i boot to a floppy and format the HDD from dos? and then put in the Os cd. if so whats the best way of doing

this? if I go ahead and let windows format it will I loose the 29Gigs of space for good?

3.Neat little monitor btw, however problem = DVI-I output on Gfx card, DVI-D input on monitor? would i be right in saying i need a

converter because the cable i have is DVI-I to DVI-I, are they easy to get hold of?

thats all I can think of right now, thanking you in advance for any help.

Tez

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328794

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice