1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

building a new PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rollyt, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rollyt

rollyt Thread Starter

I am looking at building a new PC
    Example I would like to install
    Processor - Pentium4 speed of 2 to 3 GHz
    Ram - 512 Mb
    Hard Drive - 80 to 120 GB at 7200 rpm
    Optical drive - CD / DVD RW
    Modem Type - v.90/v.92 internal
    Audio/Video - video card with aTV outlet
    Case with a gigbyte motherboard
    i would like to know what are the pitfalls,do you get technical support when buying these components so you don't stuff-up the installation.
    is there a procedure as to how to install these components properly?
    any help in building a new PC would be appricated

Regards Rolly

2. active95

active95

Welcome to the "pain and suffering" of building your own pc. If you're comfortable ( or have some experience with computers ) then it really doesn't matter when it comes to tech support, only concern been the warranty (i'll explain in a sec ).
    To answer your question, basically you'll be your own tech support.Why? Because once something goes wrong,you'll start to get bounced from one peripheral company to the other ( thanks to outsourcing ). Typical answer will be " It's because of the XYZ component , not our". The peripherals will be under waranty and will receive some support as long as you know which component is the culprit otherwise the "tech support" will recite from their manual (in 15 min or less ) and pass you to another tech support company.
    Now i'm not saying not to build the computer. By all means go ahead and do it , you'll gain valuable experience ( along with white hair :D ). But once you got that puppy up and humming it will be an incredible experience ( specially for the first time)
    Get to the local bookstore ( or online ) and get a "how to build a pc " book to get familiar with the in's and out of building. It's not as hard as it used to be. Pretty much it's a plug and play. Install the mobo inside the case ( and i suggest to install the cpu and RAM before putting the mobo inside the case ) , plug the video card and any peripherals cards that you want to add ( modem, network card etc ) , put the hdd's/cd roms/dvd/floppy , connect them to the mobo, connect the power supplies to them ( molex ,4 wire connector), connect the wires from the front of the case ( power, reset, hdd, power Led, speaker ) connect the power supply connector to the mobo and fire up. All the reputable mobo ( motherboard ) companies will supply a manual which will will show were the wires need to be connected along with other pertinent info.And some will also offer some advice "why the pc is not starting " along with some troubleshooting technics.
    Hope this helps

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

Rollyt
    I agree with Active that your adventure is only starting. Planning and researching will be your best defense against having to many problems. I use the phrase "to many" because you always will have some glitches along the way no matter how well you plan\research.
    Rough out what you wish this computer to do and which platform you want to use, Intel or AMD.
    Start with researching for a motherboard that will handle what you want it to do, IE: Cost, Processor, amount of Ram, ram type, Bus speed, USB 2.0, onboard sound or onboard video if wanted, firewire, Sata support Etc. After you have located a motherboard that fits your needs then do searches through Google for that motherboard, using the motherboards number and look for reviews of that board, performance or otherwise.
    Do research and costing for all major components, Processor, RAM modules, Hard drives, video cards, Etc.
    Note: Newegg, linked below, has all its stock listed under major categories and has links to manufacturer websites embedded within product listings. This allows you to quickly eliminate motherboards that do not fit you criteria and also provides a listing of possibilities if you use advanced searching parameters.

After you have throughly researched each item through the MFG websites and other review websites then start looking for best pricing. I recommend purchasing through Newegg because their prices\selection is very good and their customer service\shipping is very good.

After you have done all the above and have the parts in hand spend a bit of time reading through and understanding the best you can what is written in the motherboards manual. This will help once you get started setting up your system.

Here is a Website for building a PC I found was extremely helpful and organized.

Good luck and pay particular attention to detail when researching and building. Double check your work before powering it up and enjoy the first time you see what you have built fire up and run its post to completion.

Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice