Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Building a new PC.

735 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  StumpedTechy 
#1 ·
I am trying to replace an old 533Mhz motherboard with AMD A6 and put newer one. What steps do i need to take before installing a new motherboard and what are the problems that i will encounter ?

#2 ·
First question: Is this going to be standard size ATX or micro-ATX? What size is the case? Micro will not fit in a standard case and vice-versa.
Second: Is my current RAM compatible with the new board/CPU? If so, will it be enough to handle the demand from a new CPU and OS (if that is being considered)?
Third: Graphics card. Unless you are using onboard video and/or the new mobo has it, will your current card be compatible with the new board?
Fourth: Current power supply unit (psu)...is it adequate for the new component(s)? How old is it? The psu is just as important as any other component.

I'll stop there for now. It would be helpful to know what your current mobo is and the type/amount of RAM. Also the exact model of the mobo you are considering.

#3 ·
If the case is propriatary (I.E. brand name like Compaq, Dell, HP, and IBM) the new MB may not fit. You won't be able to use the same RAM so you will have to buy more RAM. Also the upgraded MB and cpu may take more power so you may have to upgrade your power supply as well (this all dependant on if you had a good wattage on your power supply when it was first purchased. Also on the power supply issue you want to look at the number of connectors the new MB's have more connectors and an old Power Supply may not be able to handle the connectors needed for the new Motherboard. Lastly if the old MB had an integrated video card and the new one does not you will need to buy a video card. If its an add-in PCI your fine with moving it. Also I usually recommend doing a fresh OS install when swapping MB's as you can get where you entire system is unuseable after swapping that major component

Thats probably going to be the extent of the MAJOR problems you may encounter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.