Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Building a new PC

827 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
I am looking for some assistance.

I have a couple of old Dell PC's running windows 98, and also a newer one running windows XP.

I have gutted one of the cases and I plan to install my hardrive which has XP on, however I want to purchase a new Motherboard and reasonably quick processor.

Can anyone recommend any components that I should purchase. I have a low budget unfortunately

Cheers

#2 ·
yes all of what you want to accomplish is moderately easy except. You can't put another computer systems start up hard drive in any other computer unless you built the same computer with the same hardware and components. You would have to reformat that hard drive if you purchased a new motherboard.

#3 ·
If that case (and its components) was purchased after Sept 98, then you will also have to replace the power supply with a standard ATX psu or you could fry the new motherboard.

#4 ·
For what a case is worth, why do you even bother? None of the parts, save for the harddrive, are going to be compatible. Hell, I sell whole AMD systems starting at $350 CAD which is about $15USD :p You can buy something affordable. You're going to have to spend the money anyways, might as well do it right the first time. No sense wasting your time on a couple of rickety old cases.

#5 ·
D0C_Hol1d@y said:
yes all of what you want to accomplish is moderately easy except. You can't put another computer systems start up hard drive in any other computer unless you built the same computer with the same hardware and components. You would have to reformat that hard drive if you purchased a new motherboard.
No you don't, actually. There is a way of doing it. It's tricky if you don't know what you're doing, but it works.

#6 ·
I hope you can talk him through it.

#8 ·
If xp was pre-installed, it is bound to the original hardware. While it is possible to move xp to another mb, it is not legal to do so. It violates the EULA.

BTW it is not all that difficult. I swap boards quite often without a clean install and no repair install either. The whole process takes all of about 10 min.

#9 ·
If you have a real MS CD of xp either oem or retail, then it is no problem. You can swap them over.

I do agree do not mess with the dell cases. Most of the time you cannot install a standard atx mb in a dell case. The case was made to fit only dell boards. In short you are wasting your time with the dell cases. Just buy a quality case from newegg or other reputable retailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.