Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Building a New PC

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  magicdanw 
#1 ·
Hi! I'm going to be building a new pc. It will be used primarily for word processing and internet, but it should run decent. It also needs to have a small footprint, which is why I chose the slim tower style. I have included a screenshot of the items I will be using. I also have an 80GB PATA drive and 512MB of ram that I can put in the computer.

Please let me know what you think, if this will run well, and give any suggestions!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
alright, so PATA is just a fancy word for IDE if im not mistaken. Well the HDD is fine for the motherboard, and im not to sure but the motherboard would probably have to be DDR1
so you'll have to make sure that your RAM is DDR1 to go with it

also i cant be sure from the item description as to whether the motherboard has onboard video. If it doesnt you'll need to buy a GFX card of some sort which will have to be either PCI/PCI-E or AGP depending on what ports your motherboard has

just as a side note you need to be aware that if you go for those options its going to be a low end pc, im not familiar with the motherboards brand so i really cant say whether its a good buy or not but it will be fine for browsing and desktop applications.

post some links to the actual products so we can see the full specifications if you want some more advice =)

ps. case and PSU are good brands, PSU is slightly underpowered but will be fine for your machine, just to be sure check if the motherboard has a reccomended power intake

#4 ·
yes it should work, the ram it takes is DDR1 so you still have to check that against that 512 stick you have. the motherboard does indeed have onboard video so theres no pressing need for a GFX card unless you want to boost its power.

what im trying to impress upon you by saying that its a low end pc is just to make you aware that it doesnt have much potential for upgrade. so come 2 years down the track and with advancements in technology your software needs some higher specs to run you'll find it extremely hard to find parts for your current PC to upgrade it, the socket it uses is starting to be phased out atm i think (not to sure on intel) so you wont be able to purchase a new cpu for that board in the not to distant future. So if the time comes for you to upgrade you'll end up having to buy a whole new pc.

If your fine with all the above, then go ahead and buy, it will do everything you need it to and hopefully wont blow up for a few years to come (i'd suggest extended warranty on the motherboard just to be safe)

good luck :D

#8 ·
well the motherboard looks fine, again im not familiar with the brand but it looks to have everything you'll need.
The processor is also quite adequate.

And to the question of a dvd burner, its definately a good option seeing as they're only about $10 more

#9 ·
I might take a look into a DVD burner, but seeing as how my household already has 2, and my mom might not even watch DVDs, let alone burn them, I'll probably stick with what I've got.

As for the motherboard, I chose the PC CHIPS one based on reviews, not name. I've heard a lot about both PC Chips and ASUS, and the PC chips one I picked has much higher reviews on newegg than the ASUS, which had a number of DOAs and blue screens.

Maybe I'll look for a different board, but probably not the asus you recommended. Thanks, anyway.

If anyone knows of a good MicroATX with integrated sound and video, that takes a Celeron D and PC3200 RAM, let me know, please! :confused:

#11 ·
magicdanw said:
I might take a look into a DVD burner, but seeing as how my household already has 2, and my mom might not even watch DVDs, let alone burn them, I'll probably stick with what I've got.

As for the motherboard, I chose the PC CHIPS one based on reviews, not name. I've heard a lot about both PC Chips and ASUS, and the PC chips one I picked has much higher reviews on newegg than the ASUS, which had a number of DOAs and blue screens.

Maybe I'll look for a different board, but probably not the asus you recommended. Thanks, anyway.

If anyone knows of a good MicroATX with integrated sound and video, that takes a Celeron D and PC3200 RAM, let me know, please! :confused:
what PcChips the one you posted was a Biostar, and again nothing wrong with them, had several they run great.

#12 ·
magicdanw said:
How's this motherboard?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130528

It's MSI, has good reviews, good price, and all the features I need.

Well?
MSI is alright also, however dont put too much faith in the newegg reviews, some folks just dont know what theyre doing, they say MB was DOA when it was that they didnt plug in the P4 plug, that sort of thing, so take it with a grain of salt. Better to read some reviews also see what some "experts" say, and also what some of the techs on this site say, etc.

#13 ·
Well, I posted the BIOSTAR one first, but then I decided to get a 775 motherboard for upgradeability, so I switched to a PC CHIPS one that I linked to a few posts above.

I guess I'll take a look at the MSI and the ASUS and google for some expert reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.