1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building a new system, need help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Remus767, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Remus767

Remus767 Thread Starter

Ok so i am building a new pc and i have some questions. so im gunna list them :D

1. My disk reader and hardrive in my current pc (which i am switching to my new pc) use ide connectors :( :( :( :( . The ide's look different in size (size of each cable in the ribbion) Can i bridge the 2 into one ide, or do i need to get a motherboard with 2 ide connectors?
    (here are the motherboards with 2 ide's that i am looking at

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Value=3879:27158&PropertyCodeValue=2972:19547

2. I have vista currently installed. If i transfer my hardrive over to my new system will i be able to boot off of that (i do plan on reinstalling it, but wanna know if i can boot of the hardrive initialy before reinstall)

3. I plan on getting a 8800gt graphics card which is 9 inches long. If an ide if in the way of the graphics card (without a ide cable pluged into it) will the graphics card be able to get in the PCI express slot?

4. Will the 450w powersupply that comes with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147030
    be enough to power my sysetem (the 160g hardrive, disk reader, 2.2ghz X2 processor, 8800gt, 120mm fan and 80mm fan, and 2g's of ddr2 800 ram)?

5. If i do need 2 ide connectors then which MOBO in the first link i posted should i get (preferably notheing above 80$), if i only need 1 ide then what MOBO should i get (vista compatable) should i get for around 70-80$

2. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

IDe cables come in different sizes, shapes, colors, etc. You need an 80 wire cable for your HD, they are pretty small wires, you can tell the difference if you hold it up against a floppy cable or 40 wire. Its best to run only hard drives off of a single cable, since if you run something slower on the same cable, the HD will run slower. I'm not sure about card readers though, I've got an all in one which connects to the floppy slot as well as a usb slot.

You may be able to boot your drive with the new hardware, but you will likely get several different errors and it won't be stable. Its hard to say how successful you will be, but its always better to reinstall the OS.

Check the boards and see if any ide or sata connection will be in the way of the card. Tigerdirect has very good mobo pics so you can check the boards you are looking at.

I'm not sure how good that psu is, but it has all of the connectors you need, and the 8800gt needs a min 450watt.

3. brite750

brite750

1 both hdd and cdrom drive etc. still use ide 40pin/80 wire ribbon, 1.44 fdd uses diffferent cable with different slot
    2 NO WAY
    3 no way of telling, every case is different every MB is different
    4 Rosewill cases are very cheap , psu are crap, go with a quality brand Antec, Coolermaster, etc.

4. brite750

brite750

5. Remus767

Remus767 Thread Starter

thankyou soooooooooooo much guys :D . Hey brite i looked at that mobo also, but the thing is the pci-express slots run at 8x speed, and i dont plan on running in sli. So i dont think im gunna get that one. Also i have read countless reviews on stock psu's sucking balls. But reading the reviews on the rosewill case are pretty positive and im trying to keep costs down. I gusse i could just see if the psu works and if i doesnt then get a better one. (besides the shipping on that case is free!!! thats like -17$). Do you know of any cases that you would get that have free shipping and are around 30-70$? And lastly, are you sure that i couldnt even get into vista in safemode the first time?

-p.s. Thanks again for your guy's input :D (still welcome to more suggestions/answer)

6. Remus767

Remus767 Thread Starter

also my ide cables are differnt sizes for my hardrive and my disk reader. So i coudln't bridge them into one?

7. brite750

brite750

I'm not using sli either, never will but the MB still has the slots that I needed with the Nvidia 500 chipset.

8. -bOuNcYoNe-

-bOuNcYoNe-

9. Remus767

Remus767 Thread Starter

oooooo nice thinking with the ide card! thanks

10. -bOuNcYoNe-

-bOuNcYoNe-

Hope it helps.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice