1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building a PC, Highest Spec possible on a budget........

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StevieM77, Dec 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StevieM77

StevieM77 Thread Starter

Hi there,

New to the forum, and hopefully some of you can give me some input in to whats going to be my first build.

I'm looking at the highest-spec build possible on a budget of about £550. I want something running around the 3ghz mark, with 4gb of RAM, with the option of upgrading/adding more in the future.

I'm not into gaming whatsoever, so not fussed about high end graphics card, although i wouldn't mind something relatively good to get the most out of Windows 7 Aero. I'm not bothered about overclocking in the slightest, i'm just after an extremely fast loading, multi-tasking PC thats upto date, as my current PC (Compaq Presario) is extremely dated, and feel it's definitley time for a change.

I'll be running Windows 7 Ultimate, which i've have bought and paid for already. Will be dual-booting with XP sp2 for the time being.

Basically, this what i've been looking at over the last week, so far:

Motherboard: ASROCK P55 PRO Socket 1156 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

Processor: Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz Socket LGA1156 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

PSU: Corsair 550W VX Series PSU - 120mm Fan, 5 Year Warranty

RAM: Kingston 2gb Ddr3 1600mhz Hyperx Memory Cl9(9-9-9-27) X 2

Casing: Coolermaster Elite 330 Black Mid Tower Case - No PSU

Optical Drive: Sony AD7241S 24x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer & RAM Burner + LightScribe Black Bare Drive - OEM

Graphics Card: ZOTAC GT210 512MB DDR2 DVI HDMI VGA Out PCI-E Graphics Card

What do you reckon, any good, or room for improvement, any recommendations?

Look forward to some replies, thanks in advance....

Steve

:cool:

2. lilb

lilb

Well..........are you going to be playing any games on this computer? by the way if you say no i know your just lying just kidding........well i would recommend a better graphics card. such as a 5750 or ....well this will be easier if you tell me if you intent to play games or not? and what games you wish to play.

3. lilb

lilb

ok my bad you said "not into gaming what so ever" ok my bad didn't see that.

4. lilb

lilb

For multi-tasking and other tasks it should be very fast.

5. lilb

lilb

Also you said E550 is your budget so what is the grand total so far?

6. lilb

lilb

7. lilb

lilb

Also your missing a hard drive. or did you plan to take it out of your old computer and put it in your new one?
    By the way if your old computer is extremely dated its old hdd would drag your new computers speed down.

8. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

If I was you I would have avoided Asrock...Their products are usually descent but they don't have the best reputation regarding their quality...So, why not play it safe and get a better quality motherboard made by Asus, MSI or Gigabyte?

Something like this one for example:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173535

9. StevieM77

StevieM77 Thread Starter

Lilb: Yeah, no gaming, just want an extremely high spec system that will be able to handle anything i throw at it, multi-tasking wise. Had a look at that pc system you linked too, very nice indeed! However, i wouldn't fancy paying shipping charges to the UK on that, and would be extremely worried about getting some of the hardware in pieces during transit!

The total so far is around the £490 mark, as i've changed the RAM to this which has better latency.

I have included a HD, 1tb in size. It's this one right here Everything in the new build, will be just that NEW, as i don't want old hardware at all. :D

Mosquito555.

Thanks for the heads up on Asrock, i've been looking at some sites and you are right, some of their products have ALOT of problems but the motherboard you linked to is quite notorious for RAM problems.....here

Any other recommendations for a quality motherboard please?

Thanks for the input so far, much appreciated from you both! (y)

Steve

10. lilb

lilb

11. lilb

lilb

Also a package deal with your proccessor 2.66ghz i5 will be $350 if you buy them together from amazon.

12. lilb

lilb

13. lilb

lilb

hmm i have not heard of ram issues with the p55....... I wouldnt know if it had ram issues or not since im still running on a p31 :) here ill give you some links to some motherboards you might consider. hmm seems as though most of the new motherboards use p55 though....... well i cant recommend you any mother board since i haven't used them myself.
    I heard that the p55 was sapose to be the best so thats all i have to go on....

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/883843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice