Building a PC - Need Advice

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BigTeddyBear

Hi, I was wondering if these components will go well with each other and/or if there is any tweaks i should go with. This is my first PC build and i want to get it right. Any feedback is appreciated.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Devil’s Canyon Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I74790K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600
Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A/USB 3.1 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
Cooling Fan: Enermax ETS-T40-BK
Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT8G3D1609DS1S00
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 220-G2-0850-XR 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready
Graphics Card: EVGA 04G-P4-1970-KR GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 G-SYNC Support Video Card
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded USB 3.0

Hi, I was wondering if these components will go well with each other and/or if there is any tweaks i should go with. This is my first PC build and i want to get it right. Any feedback is appreciated.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Devil’s Canyon Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I74790K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600
Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A/USB 3.1 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
Cooling Fan: Enermax ETS-T40-BK
Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT8G3D1609DS1S00
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 220-G2-0850-XR 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready
Graphics Card: EVGA 04G-P4-1970-KR GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 G-SYNC Support Video Card
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded USB 3.0
what do U plan on using this computer for ???
just surfing the web //// smaller family games like on face book // games from a fiew years ago
---
or do U plan on using it for heavy gaming like GTA V that just came out this month ???
playing the latest & greatest like cyrsis 3
this will give a idea if the items U have listed will be okay--
James

BigTeddyBear

Yeah i just bought GTA V, and a load of other new games that just came out, Basically my idea is to play new games that come out but also new games in the future without upgrading my comp. Also planning to start streaming in the future.

Personally I like a full size case because some graphic cards are too big to fit in a mid size case.
not sure about EVGA brand power supplies.
other than that I like your parts list for a computer
for gaming.
P.S.
U don't have either storage or a O/S listed.
I would buy a OEM version of Windows 7 professional
from some body like "new egg" (if U are in the states)
around 120.00$$$$
I would buy the biggest SSD U can afford.
A 450gb SSD around 250$ to 300$ from new egg.
until U experience a SSD most people poo poo them
they are great
if U can afford them

Microsoft is saying the upgrade to Windows 10
is going to be free when it's released toward
the end of the year. So I would go with Windows 7
& by pass windows 8.1
a OEM will cover everything U need & the product
key from Microsoft will be on the box

BigTeddyBear

Do you have any cases you recommend ?
I'll keep having a look and check reviews on the EVGA power supply before purchasing.
I am still looking around for a decent SSD right now, Was wondering are SSHD any good ?
And should i get a External hard drive for more space ?
Also already had chosen to get Windows 7, Didn't really like Windows 8 when i tried it out personally.

To tell U the truth I have never ran across anybody
who has a SSHD.
but with a 400 to 500gb SSD ----
that gives U room for the O/S , all
your program files , including game
files.
GTA V takes 60GB & COD AW takes 55GBs.
that's why I would say around 500gb SSD.
as far as pictures & music ---
I would buy a regular internal HHD.
A 1TB HHD seems to be the sweet spot
sellers are giving there value prices
on.
after U install the O/S on the SSD have windows 7
"""Move""" your music & picture folders
to the HHD & your set.
don't worry about messing with ""page file, pre-fetch
& super fetch""""
That was technics that were used when SSDs first
came on the market.

as far as a good case that is a too big of a range
usualy left up to personal preference.
just give us some idea on how much U
want to spend on a case.
people can give U their personal
preferences.

the more intake & exhaust fans the better.
but fan noise comes into play if U
want a PC that is whisper quite.
Your top tier cases have both ports
for air cooled fans & water cooled
hoses if U want to go down the water
cooled route.
that is where personal preference comes in
on brand name

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!