1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

building a PC, New motherboard install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fankle, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fankle

Fankle Thread Starter

Alright lets see how dumb I can sound tonight.
    I have here all the parts for a computer I plan to build, and I am looking through the documentation so I am completly aquainted with the hardware. I read in the motherboard manual that the supported OS is Microsoft XP Media Center Edition SP2, does this mean I cannot run xp home or pro on it? What i'm asking is can a motherboard really determine what OS I run? The motherboard specs can be found here.

Second question, I have always used IDE connected hard drives, I now have a seagate 320 gig hard drive which supports SATA and the motherboard does as well. Should I switch to this setup? If so, do i just connect the SATA cable and power cable to the drive and its working? Is there a master slave, I wouldn't think so being as with IDE it was on one channel, but with SATA its each its own channel, but I could be wrong.

Would I connect a DVDRW drive to this mother board using the floppy connector or what? I do not see a second IDE channel for the cd drives to fit into. And where ever it does connect, where does the audio signal cable connect to? Maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks for your time.

2. sliver624

sliver624

Fankle,
    1. You can run any type of XP you want, your mobo doesn't choose it for you. I would recommend pro sp2.

2. I'm not to great with SATA drives, never have had any SATA h.d's. You should be able to just plug the power and SATA cable in and it should work if you have just one SATA h.d.

3. No, DVD/R/RW, CD/R/RW's are more than likely to be IDE, I've never seen one that's not. IDE cables usually have two IDE connectors in one cable. The audio cord should be pretty easy to find just look what the cable looks like and see what might fit, if you have any trouble try the mobo manual.

Good luck, come back if you have anymore problems.

3. DrNorm

DrNorm

Sliver is absolutely correct on point number one.

SATA drives connect exactly like IDE drives except that the connectors are different and smaller. Yes, only one SATA per connector.

What motherboard are you using? ASUS, for example, ships with two Hard Drive cables, a floppy cable and a CD-ROM cable. any hard drive cable should work, although you will have a better chance of success with the 40-conductor CD-ROM cable.

4. malix

malix

Don't be forgetting SATA is more stable and faster.
    [​IMG]
    That's pretty self explanitory on the fact that you only have one IDE header. Like sliver said most IDE cables have two connectors so you can use two IDE drives (CD, DVD, or HD).
    The information given by both is pretty useful.
    Good luck, Fankle.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

With a single IDE header using 2 optical drives and a SATA hard drive the standard connection method would be to run the two optical drives as master and slave or cable select on the IDE header and the hard drive on a SATA header.

If you run the 2 optical drives jumpered as cable select you should use a 40/80 IDE cable (40 pin 80 conductor) rather than a 40/40 IDE cable (40 pin 40 conductor). Actually, I use 40/80 cables for the optiical drives whether I jumper the drives as master and slave or as cable select.

If the board has a floppy drive controller, I recommend installing a floppy drive. Many people today feel that a floppy drive is no longer useful, however there are times when you may want a floppy drive to run diagnostic programs, as a boot drive, flashing the BIOS, etc. Floppy drives today are inexpensive and easy to install. A floppy drive with cable should be able to be purchased for approximately $15-$20.

6. photolady

photolady

Just a note here: Some motherboards will not run some OS's. So, the answer is Yes, a motherboard can determine what OS you can install. Some newer boards won't run anything below Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

7. sliver624

sliver624

That's why I said any version of XP.

8. photolady

photolady

Sometimes, yes, any XP version, other times not. Wait for Vista, then you'll see why I also answered this post.

9. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    I know that motherboards can determine what OS you run (newer systems would most likely reject Win9x/ME/NT offhand), but different versions of the same OS, as well (as in XP Home and Pro)? Is that possible?

I wouldn't doubt it, but I'm interested in how they can...umm...enforce it? Sorry, but I can't think of a better word.

10. prunejuice

prunejuice

Never heard that one before.

If it's true, I would say no one should support any motherboard manufacturer that limits your choice of OS's.

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

Please remember there have been some dvd burners out there for sata for some time now and eventually most drives will go that way as they are quieter, will reach greater ranges of speed and probably withstand the test of time better as most sata drive users have already realized.

12. photolady

photolady

prunejuice said
    Then you need to read more. ;) These types of mobo manufacturer's are few and far between, but I have and use Gigabyte boards and have seen, had one, that would not load Windows 98FE. I have also seen in the descriptions the OS supported only w2k or XP but nothing below that.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487407

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice