1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

building a pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hawkgoalie, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hawkgoalie

hawkgoalie Thread Starter

hey im thinking about building a gaming pc soon but i dont quite know much about the specific parts, i know i want a intel core i7, and probly gonna do about 12 gbs of ram, but looking for suggestions for cases, powersupplys, vid cards, motherboards, etc... any info will help and be appreciated. also im trying not to spend a ton of money, and will most likely upgrade as i go. but want to start with something that will work for awhile and will be able to run just about anything

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    that expression will be different for different people . ie £1000 or £5000 maybe a ton
    can you give a specific number or absolute maximum - I cant help here , but others will , and you can spend a lot of money just on a graphics card

3. dai

dai

you will have to choose the video card before you know what power supply you need

always buy case and power supply as separate items

4. hawkgoalie

i was thinking about not going much over about say $500-$600 if its possible again it doesnt have to be top of the line stuff.

and dai, that is the problem i dont know enought about graphics cards to chose which one to get and not get ripped off in the process.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    As i say, i cant advise here - but with that price budget, it will now be easier for someone to help
    i'm not sure it will be a high spec gaming machine at that budget

so what sort of games are you after playing ?

and does this include the Screen, keyboard,mouse - OR just the tower box

6. hawkgoalie

as of now i many just play arma 2 and league of legends, but that is purely because my current pc cant handle very much as it is a big box pc. and i would like to stay somewhat in that price range for everything but willing to flex.

7. dai

dai

upgrading what you have will save on the cost

m/b
    ram
    cpu
    video
    power supply

drives ,keyboard,mouse,screen and drives from you current system can be utilised

8. Cudaa

Cudaa

You can't build a good gaming system with a new i7 chip for that money, I just built a i5-3570k 3.4ghz system with 16gb ram and spent $600 using integrated Intel 4000 graphics, it works great but for real gaming you will have to add at least $200 more for a good graphics card.

9. hawkgoalie

with the system i have right now the only thing i could use is the case pretty much and cases arent that expensive so i would just buy one

10. dai

dai

11. hawkgoalie

dont need a monitor, kb, or mouse i have them already

12. hawkgoalie

also would it be better to get say a core i5 and then upgrade at a later date to a core i7 when i get more money

13. ligar

ligar

I7, that is a given, about 250.00 (I5 is about 50.00 less ,but if you game or heavy video apps, I7 is the way to go)

Asus P8Z77 motherboard about 149.99

G-Force GTX 560, 2 meg, about 160.00

16 megs of 1600 memory, 99.00

phantom 410 about 99.00

ATX , decent size, good wire management ( fans really quiet)

Power supply not something to skimp on 600-750 Antec about 89.00

Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus cooling fan 26.99 ( really quiet and efficient)

I like an 256 SSD, but you may also consider a pair of 3 gigs sata's in a raid array as an option

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087037

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice