Building a pc

crjdriver

Your link does not show a parts list. Post all of the parts you intend on using before you purchase anything. We can tell you IF they will work together or if you have posted poor quality parts.

Before posting any list, decide on a budget and the intended use ie gaming, video editing, general use, whatever.

Eladtopaz

1. Intel Core i7-10700 2.9 GHz 8-Core Processor
2. Gigabyte B460M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard

3. Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 CL16 Memory
4. Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
I took the SSD (number 4) from my sister's dead laptop and we decided to build a PC with it, she wanted WIfi and Bluetooth the is why we added number 7.

crjdriver

I am not a fan of micro boards unless there is a real reason to use one ie home theater or something similar.
You do understand that you have listed a budget motherboard.
I do not see a video card listed. Are you using the onchip video?
As for memory, I would go with at least 2933 memory which is natively supported.

crjdriver

I took the SSD (number 4) from my sister's dead laptop and we decided to build a PC with it, she wanted WIfi and Bluetooth the is why we added number 7.
You do understand that you are going to need either a new copy of windows OR just purchase a new windows lic. OEM type windows lic ie what comes on a dell, hp, any factory system, lives and dies with the original hardware.

Eladtopaz

You do understand that you have listed a budget motherboard.
I do not see a video card listed. Are you using the onchip video?
As for memory, I would go with at least 2933 memory which is natively supported.
what is it budget motherboard?
we don't need video card it isn't for gaming, we will use onchip video.
I didn't find 2933 RAM that is supported on this motherboard and on shops in my country...

Eladtopaz

You do understand that you are going to need either a new copy of windows OR just purchase a new windows lic. OEM type windows lic ie what comes on a dell, hp, any factory system, lives and dies with the original hardware.
what is wrong with our windows 10 installed on the SSD we will use?? what do you means lives and dies with the original hardware? I never hard that thing before, her laptop was Samsung if it matters..

crjdriver

Just what I said. You need a new windows lic. OEM [what came on the laptop] is ONLY valid with the original hardware. It might boot ok however it will NOT be activated and will not activate until you supply a new lic key.
If you do not believe me, simply read the EULA from microsoft.

There is nothing wrong with a mATX motherboard at all. Most people, even experienced builders do not use any of the extra slots that take up room in a case and impede the building process as a regular ATX board would (you get a lot more room to work with your hands and it looks better in the case). Your selections look fine and a B360 is fine for normal use. 2666 mhz ram is fine with Intel you do not get the same speed ratio benefit as you do with Ryzen build so with a non K CPU, and a nice B360 DDR4 2666 is perfect.

crjdriver

You are correct in that there is nothing inherently wrong with a micro board. If you check the specs on that particular board, it has the old realtek 887 sound and a realtek lan. High end boards have the 1220 sound and an intel lan.
Generally [however not always] micro boards use lower end parts; hence the reason for not being a fan of micro boards unless there is a need to use one.
I am just not a fan of lower end or budget parts.

Last edited:
Well that is true it's been that way for a while where even budget full size boards will get away with Realtek 887-892 etc. The thing that actually makes the high end board sound chip sound much better is that they are better amplified (typically). What you might call low end or budget isn't actually a 'low end' motherboard it's a 'lower tier' board as compared to a midrange or high end board. The term low end makes it sound nearly unusable, and used with very substandard parts. This is not the case with the B360 board mentioned it simply uses the older and more affordable sound and LAN solutions - both are perfectly usable under normal usage. Also B360's don't have the tweakable BIOS that an Intel Z board would have because with a non K processor it's not needed.

One typical caveat of using a higher end, or lets say a high end board, is that the BIOS updates tend to get too cute, meaning they try to fix too much for the enthusiast and for 1-2 things they might fix and improve on they break 1-2 other things - not always but can tend to be that way whereas a typical basic well built board will have a BIOS that is extremely stable for the average computer user that needs stability above all else for the computer to be used as a daily driver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online