1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building a PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Metaphoric, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Metaphoric

Metaphoric Thread Starter

Ive decided to build my own PC, i never have before but i have fitted every component into a computer so i know what to do. i just a have a coupleof questions involving cases and power supplies.
    What is the difference between a 300wt and a 450wt PSU, does it make any difference to the components you can install?
    An another question, stupid but id like to make sure, im planning on buying the following case,

JNC 8676 300watt ATX case

I was wondering what the 'ATX' means in the title, is it a specific case type or just a model number.
    If i decid to put any modifications such a lights/glowstips in the case near a side window, what power supply do these run off? the internal PSU or an external plug?
    And the last question. I presume that basically any mother board fits in any case, i will be builing to a Pentium4, not decided on the motherboard yet but will most fit in this case?

Thanks in advance,
    Metaphoric

2. Gibble

Gibble

ATX has to do with the type of power supply, old mother boards used an AT style connector, newer boards use an ATX connector.

The number of watts (300, 450, 500, etc) is how much power you have for components...think of it like this. A 300 watt power supply can handle a mother board, floppy, HD, CDRom, and a couple fans without too much problem...even a little more.

BUT if you plan on having 2 CDRoms, a couple hard drives, floppy drive, a bunch of USB, several fans, etc...you probably want a 400watt power supply at minimum.

While a 300 can probably supply power to it all, it probably won't be a nice even stream of power, it may have spikes or drops and your power supply will burn out faster.

3. zeddy

zeddy

The mods will run off the PSU, get a 400w one from a quality manufacturer like antec or thermaltake. If you are going to mod up the case then spend money on a cool looking one to start with, aluminium is good and has excellent heat dissipation.

The mobo ahould fit a standard atx case. If you intend doing much tinkering inside you might want to go midi size or bigger.

For cheap aluminium with psu

For a good one with trupower supply (quality) see Antec Plus 660AMG Metallic Gray Mini Tower Case - 330W TruePower PSU (CA-000-AT)

4. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

ATX is the size of the motherboard. It is a form factor. In a few months a new one will be introduced called BTX. It will be much nicer than the ATX so if you can wait then I would. The best power supplies are from Zalman and Seasonic but you get what you pay for so they will cost you a few extra dollars BUT WELL WORTH IT! You can get a cheaper power supply like a antec but some people have a lot of problems with them. Some people get lucky and they work ok for them. I would get a GOOD QUALITY supply and cut cost with some other component. The power supply is one of the most important parts in your computer. A good one like the Seasonic and the Zalman will have a Active PFC (VERY IMPORTANT) and a forward converter, and a much better warranty. The Zalmans and the Seasonics are also VERY quiet!!!! You can't even hear them running :D They also filter out the spikes better which your components will thank you for later. BTW, Seasonic holds most of the patents for modern power supplies and other companies just buy the rights to use their designs ;)

5. chakorules

chakorules

I dunno what parts you are planning on buying. But here is a nice tool to figure up what size power supply your gonna need.

http://www.vbutils.com/power.asp

I'll endorse it's accurracy.

6. zeddy

zeddy

Antec trupower is a good quality psu, I dont know if Seasonic supply to the UK, Zalman are good.

7. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Yes antec is a good consumer catagory power supply, but Seasonic is not geared for consumers per say, it is geared for Professionals! You won't find a antec power supply in a recording studio or TV broadcast booth. They need a power supply that is rock solid and has NO ripples or spikes in the line. That's why they all use Seasonic power supplies. Seasonic has just now started to produce a special line of consumer power supplies call "Precise". You can learn more about it HERE ;)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice