Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Building a PC!

1K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  BlackyTabacky 
#1 ·
I read the sticky above, but I still would like some help.
I just got enough money to get my own PC at first I was thinking of just buying an already built computer but after couple hours of thinking, I decided I would build my own and a problem with that is I don't know much about the CPU's inside. But I had a stroke of luck one of my friends friend, owns a PC shop and I asked him about some info on building PC's. He said he can get the parts straight from the manufacturer and assemble it for me for quite cheap, I gladly agreed and went online to search for parts, after seeing the price ranges for each anything there was a large gap and I wasn't really sure of what I was buying, I asked one of my friends and he showed me a couple of stuff but he only said it is a suggestion and he basically linked me all the stuff he has, but I want something brand new.
If you guys could help that would be great, Ill give a basic outline.
Around 2k and would last me quite awhile and easily upgrade-able.
PC all the way
nVidia graphics card (preferably but not a must)
Water Cooling (the fan I have is the loudest thing in my room)
New Monitor

This is just my basic outline, because again I am not very intelligent with computers and stuff. Any help is greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you may be biting off a bit more than you can chew here . You haven't mentioned what your primary use of this machine will be , which would be the most significant factor
in choosing the components . If you dont have a particular use in mind I'd advise a good 'off the shelf' package , which would cost significantly less than 2k (dollars, euro or £Sterling , btw? ) . If you know what you want your new machine to do then let us know and I have no doubt you'll get plenty of input :)

#5 ·
Core 2 Duo 6750
Intel BLKDG965RYCK LGA 775 Intel G965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix Ram 800
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS
ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT 500 watt psu
Antec Sonata III Black Computer Case
80 Gb WD Raptor hdd and 320 gb 7200 rpm for storage
Pioneer 18X dvd-rw
Those are the components I would start with

#6 ·
I am a really big noob and just wanted to ask whats the difference between core 2 duo and dual core, also could u post an average price for all of items that would be great.
I also went on some forums and posted the same thread, and just wanted to run it by you and see what you think.
Graphics Card: EVGA Geforce 8800 GTS 320 MB.
Processor: Intel Duo E6600.
Motherboard: Asus 650i SLI
RAM: G.Skill 2 gig DDR-2 ram pack.
Hardrive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Power Supply: Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU ATX 12V 2.0 500W Power Supply

#7 ·
Rich-M said:
Core 2 Duo 6750
Intel BLKDG965RYCK LGA 775 Intel G965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix Ram 800
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS
ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT 500 watt psu
Antec Sonata III Black Computer Case
80 Gb WD Raptor hdd and 320 gb 7200 rpm for storage
Pioneer 18X dvd-rw
Those are the components I would start with
don't those antec sonata cases come with a psu ???????

#11 ·
BlackyTabacky said:
I am a really big noob and just wanted to ask whats the difference between core 2 duo and dual core, also could u post an average price for all of items that would be great.
I also went on some forums and posted the same thread, and just wanted to run it by you and see what you think.
Hardrive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
if u missed my other post =P

#12 ·
BlackyTabacky said:
Newest and best Intel cpu is Core 2 Duo. Has best speed, least heat problems but dual core is dual core it means the y function more or less as 2 cpu's. The key word there was "function".
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130071
better buy than 6600:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115029
You could not give me GSkill ram but quality Crucial or Corsair for 2 gig no more than $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822144391
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153029

#13 ·
Also wanted to ask, the fan I have is extremely loud and always builds dust within 2 weeks or so, and is water cooling quite expensive, and as I've heard it is much more quiter but very space consuming and power demanding, would this be a better choice over a normal fan?
and I am gonna have to hand in the list to the guy and wanted to ask, would there be anything more?
Thank You Very Much For Your Help Sir!! Really excited to finally order the parts and get it assembled.

-Also =P
What would be a practical operating system, I heard Vista has alot of problems and a a lot of games are still incompatible with it, and theres like 20 editions of XP, and is there anyway to re-use my system recovery disk from my current cpu to install home edition on my new one?

EDIT: If you got time, could you also please explain how overcloking works?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.