1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building a PC!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BlackyTabacky, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BlackyTabacky

BlackyTabacky Thread Starter

I read the sticky above, but I still would like some help.
    I just got enough money to get my own PC at first I was thinking of just buying an already built computer but after couple hours of thinking, I decided I would build my own and a problem with that is I don't know much about the CPU's inside. But I had a stroke of luck one of my friends friend, owns a PC shop and I asked him about some info on building PC's. He said he can get the parts straight from the manufacturer and assemble it for me for quite cheap, I gladly agreed and went online to search for parts, after seeing the price ranges for each anything there was a large gap and I wasn't really sure of what I was buying, I asked one of my friends and he showed me a couple of stuff but he only said it is a suggestion and he basically linked me all the stuff he has, but I want something brand new.
    If you guys could help that would be great, Ill give a basic outline.
    Around 2k and would last me quite awhile and easily upgrade-able.
    PC all the way
    nVidia graphics card (preferably but not a must)
    Water Cooling (the fan I have is the loudest thing in my room)
    New Monitor

This is just my basic outline, because again I am not very intelligent with computers and stuff. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. nessyguin

nessyguin

I think you may be biting off a bit more than you can chew here . You haven't mentioned what your primary use of this machine will be , which would be the most significant factor
    in choosing the components . If you dont have a particular use in mind I'd advise a good 'off the shelf' package , which would cost significantly less than 2k (dollars, euro or £Sterling , btw? ) . If you know what you want your new machine to do then let us know and I have no doubt you'll get plenty of input :)

3. BlackyTabacky

I currently have a Medion with nVidia PCX 5300, 512 mb of ram, not sure about processor, xp,

And I am looking for a gaming rig, something that would be able to run crysis at full settings perhaps

2k canadian dollars which is basically almost same as US $ now

4. BlackyTabacky

basically what I am asking you guys for is your dream parts to build a computer with that will have the biggest kick for a buck.
    this is also a bump =P
    Please help guys!!!!!!

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Core 2 Duo 6750
    Intel BLKDG965RYCK LGA 775 Intel G965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
    Crucial Ballistix Ram 800
    EVGA GeForce 8800GTS
    ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT 500 watt psu
    Antec Sonata III Black Computer Case
    80 Gb WD Raptor hdd and 320 gb 7200 rpm for storage
    Pioneer 18X dvd-rw
    Those are the components I would start with

6. BlackyTabacky

I am a really big noob and just wanted to ask whats the difference between core 2 duo and dual core, also could u post an average price for all of items that would be great.
    I also went on some forums and posted the same thread, and just wanted to run it by you and see what you think.
    Graphics Card: EVGA Geforce 8800 GTS 320 MB.
    Processor: Intel Duo E6600.
    Motherboard: Asus 650i SLI
    RAM: G.Skill 2 gig DDR-2 ram pack.
    Hardrive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
    Power Supply: Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU ATX 12V 2.0 500W Power Supply

7. replay

replay

don't those antec sonata cases come with a psu ???????

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes usually, I forgot that.

9. BlackyTabacky

I also heard that psu that come with the case are usually pieces of crap.
    True or Im getting wrong info.

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

No you are exactly right, but Antec and Enermax are the exceptions because they make both, and do it very well.

11. BlackyTabacky

if u missed my other post =P

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

Newest and best Intel cpu is Core 2 Duo. Has best speed, least heat problems but dual core is dual core it means the y function more or less as 2 cpu's. The key word there was "function".
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130071
    better buy than 6600:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115029
    You could not give me GSkill ram but quality Crucial or Corsair for 2 gig no more than $100
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822144391
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153029

13. BlackyTabacky

Also wanted to ask, the fan I have is extremely loud and always builds dust within 2 weeks or so, and is water cooling quite expensive, and as I've heard it is much more quiter but very space consuming and power demanding, would this be a better choice over a normal fan?
    and I am gonna have to hand in the list to the guy and wanted to ask, would there be anything more?
    Thank You Very Much For Your Help Sir!! Really excited to finally order the parts and get it assembled.

-Also =P
    What would be a practical operating system, I heard Vista has alot of problems and a a lot of games are still incompatible with it, and theres like 20 editions of XP, and is there anyway to re-use my system recovery disk from my current cpu to install home edition on my new one?

EDIT: If you got time, could you also please explain how overcloking works?

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

Just get a better newer fan

15. BlackyTabacky

nah I am gonna sorta abandon my current cpu, and maybe sit it behind me, just for net surfing and msn
    All the questions Im asking is about new cpu

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/601489

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice