1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building an advanced website

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by kelbrit, Aug 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kelbrit

kelbrit Thread Starter

I already have a static website though yahoo. I want to build another where people can post pictures. But first they have to register. Then they can post their photo. When posting their photo they would have a choice of what group they want that picture. I would also like a button where if someone is looking for a certain photo say "beach" when they click on that photo all of the beach photos that folks have entered will be there. There's much more I'd like it to do. But every time I look on what program I should use I always get sent back to the standard Wix, GoDaddy etc. as far as I can tell those sites can not do what I want. They are just drag and drop.

I have searched for just building a website but no luck. I hope this forum may help.

Can I build the site I want or do I have to pay someone.
    If I have to pay someone what's a fair fee
    Do I buy my domain name for someone like Google or Wix, yahoo sitebuilder etc

Thank you

kelbrit

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  2. JiminSA

JiminSA

First Name:
    Jim
    Sorry to inform you that WYSIWYG site builders won't cut it, @kelbrit - you'll need a database and some server side programming languages to do what you want.
    My advice to you is to look for a designer/developer with server side experience if you are lacking in that area ...
    Costs really depend upon where you are situated in the world (IMO it's best to get someone fairly local).
    ... not quite sure of what you're asking:(

3. kelbrit

kelbrit Thread Starter

I kind of thought that would be the case
    About the domain question. I was told that I should purchase my domain name before I started any thing so that my idea would be protected as I went shopping for a designer/developer. I know Google and others sell domain names. I was just curious is buying mt domain fist a good thing?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  4. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    Leaving aside the question of 'is this a good business model' this type of web application is ripe for hackers / unscrupulous people to abuse. Think of what happens to you legally if inappropriate photos are published. If you really do want to continue with this then:

There are several gallery scripts that will do what you want like Coppermine, Gallery, Zenphoto and many more. Just take a look at these I am sure that you will find one that fits the bill.

Domain registration is cheap now depending on what you want and you should register your name of choice with a registrar as soon as possible to protect it. Go to one of the dedicated domain registrars rather than GoDaddy, Google etc. I usually use Namecheap but there are others.

5. kelbrit

kelbrit Thread Starter

This kind of site is a lot more complicated than running a WYSIWYG site. I was going to file for a LLC before I got started. From what you folks are saying I am getting way over my head. It may be best for me to shop my idea around and find a designer/developer who also thinks my idea is a good one.
    What if I bought my domain name and tried to shop my idea around?

6. JiminSA

JiminSA

First Name:
    Jim
    I like to purchase the domain name and hosting from the same company - makes annual renewal simple ...
    Regarding the site design and development, as Colin suggests there will be abuse problems, so you will need to introduce a vetting procedure before publishing and this will also give you the opportunity to categorise the pictures, so your builder will need to give you some backend control;)

7. kelbrit

kelbrit Thread Starter

You said "I like to purchase the domain name and hosting from the same company " any suggestions on a company?
    I'd like to say that you folks are great I have looked everywhere for some kind of advice any kind of advice about doing a website like I'd like to but only found help here. Thank you all very much. When I first started the conversation I was really psyched. Then reading s your suggestions I was a bit down beat. But now after your suggestions I am psyched again. It will be a challenge but I think it's going to be a ball. After all my kids say I don't have a life anyway. First thing I am going to do today is get my domain name. Then I am either going to hire a designer/developer of look for someone to share my idea.
    If you don't mind from time to time I will still ask a few questions. Thanks again
    Question do I continue asking questions on this thread or start a new one?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  8. JiminSA

JiminSA

First Name:
    Jim
    New threads for new questions @kelbrit

9. kelbrit

kelbrit Thread Starter

Got it new threads. but can someone please get me a couple of choices where to purchase the domain anme and hosting from the same company?
    Thanks

10. JiminSA

JiminSA

First Name:
    Jim
    Just Google 'website hosting in xxx' where xxx is your whereabouts;) and choose the best offer ...

11. JiminSA

JiminSA

First Name:
    Jim
    ... and please check your alerts (top-right) - I PM'ed you ...

12. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    I disagree with Jim I keep hosting and domain registration separate, the reason for this is if one goes bust or one has problems it has less impact on your site.

SmokieT likes this.
  13. kelbrit

kelbrit Thread Starter

I went to buy a domain I chose Bluehost. They told me it was $11.99 a year but on check out it turned out to be $23.87. They told me the extra was for protection. Is this normal and when they started hosting me account I would not be charged that

14. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    No it is not normal. Look elsewhere, a .com domain name should cost you around $11 a year and with someone like https://namecheap.com it comes with free whoisguard included. Avoid any of the EIG group of companies would be my advice (a current list of them is on Wikipedia).

15. kelbrit

kelbrit Thread Starter

Thanks

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice