1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building an XP machine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EdGreene, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EdGreene

EdGreene Banned Thread Starter

Ed's about to "Bake" a computer.

This is my 9th! scratch computer build but my first XP machine. But I'm willing to bet that nearly nothing I learned about building 98x machines will do me much good here.

My "baking" ingredients: new case, power supply, XP upgrade, OEM Win98 disks, all my drivers and updates saved on CD_RW, saved all my bookmarks and settings on CD_RW, two HDD [40 & 20 GIG] (formatted), 512MB memory-etc. and a slew of legal (registered & updated) programs, most of which say (advisedly) they can run under XP.

Baking the cake:
    1. When to install the above and in what sequence?
    2. Do WHAT immediately after XP install?
    2a Install PartitionMagic 8.0 then NortonSystemWorks2002?
    2b Or?
    3. Dual boot so I can run Win98/DOS programs and games?

I can easily enough go to M$ and update my Office 2000 and other MS stuff, but what about my favorite DOS programs?
    4. What have I forgotten/left out?

2. Rockn

Rockn

#1...will this PC even run WinXP hardware wise?
    #2...Do not go the upgrade route for XP if you can possibly help it. Install on a clean formatted partition with a full version of XP.
    #3...Install the OS first and make sure it is patched and all drivers are up to date prior to installing any other software.
    #4....Install PM if you have to, otherwise it really doesn't matter when you install it. system Works is a resource hog, dump it and just use a good AV program.
    #5...XP will play most older games if you set up the environment correctly for it before attempting to play it. What DOS programs are you referring to that are your favorites??

3. exocet

exocet

So to clarify, part of the goal here is to have 98 installed in addition to XP to run legacy software?

And just my advice, if i were to install just XP, i would get a copy of the full version instead of installing 98 and upgrading that to XP. It just makes the installation much more "cleaner". I've never upgraded 98 straight to XP though, so i dunno what, if any, problems that may present.

Are you for sure wanting to dual boot XP with 98? Do you want your drives partitioned? Or is that all dependant on how well XP runs legacy software? I, for one, don't know how well XP handles legacy software, perhaps someone else can field that.

4. n2gun

n2gun

I upgraded Windows 98se to Xp and the only thing I had to do was upgrade my PowerDVD to XP which I was able to do on their website. I don't think it would be a major problem for you to do it that way. You may want to set up a dual boot for 98 to run dos though. There is a way to run dos in xp but not sure if you can run dos programs with it. It would definitely be worth a try before using dual boot though.

It can be found in accesories under command prompt.

5. EdGreene

As to #1. New case and 400 watt PS ought to to be able to handle anything XP can throw at it.
    #2. Have XP upgrade in hand, will go with that. HDDs formatted and partitioned already.
    #4. Have PM already in hand and resourses (60 GIG) not a problem.
    #5 I have a lot of Win95/98 DOS games from way back when they used to say this game will run under Win98...but some wouldn't.
    Novalogic's "F-22 Lightning ll" and Activision's "Gambling Tycoon" being just two favorites. My oldest grandsons like a slew of the Win95/98 DOS racing/car/motorcycle games also.
    The wife is a rabid Blackjack/Video poker fan. We have four disks and she switches gambling/gaming CDs like she switches dresses when we're going out.

6. EdGreene

Thanks for the heads up n2gun. I hadn't thought (didn't know) about XP running DOS.
    That seems to say XP should easily enough run DOS programs.
    Will investigate.

Ed
    I get it done with YAHOO! DSL!

7. EdGreene

I do not want to lose the ability to run the DOS programs and games in my private CD "library." Dual booting would let me use one HDD for Win98/SE the larger HDD for XP.

As for "upgrading to XP." I will [clean install] XP, using my OEM WIn98 CD to authenticate (verify) I own a registered Win98 MS CD.
    I understand anything I might not have on the XP "upgrade" CD can be downloaded from M$.

8. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

If you're going to be using DOS based programs now and then, definitely do a dual boot installation. XP is weird with DOS programs, some work, some don't.

When you finish loading XP, do the windows update first. make sure you have any updated drivers, criticals updates, etc. You'll need Service Pack 1 in order to get rid of Windows Messenger.

Partition Magic really isn't necessary. The Disk Management utility in Windows XP does a decent job. Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management > DM

Once all the updates are in, then install any other drivers you need. Check Device Manager.

9. EdGreene

Thanks again. I cut my teeth so to speak on PM. I doubt, but i don't know for a fact, if XP's own partitioning software can take me where I want to go. Even if it can, the learning curve would be a PITA.

Updating XP. You're suggesting I get the XP Service Pack 1 from the update site then do the driver-etc. updates?

Ed
    I get it done with YAHOO! DSL!

10. exocet

exocet

After installing XP, the FIRST thing i would do is install all the proper drivers for your motherboard and devices. Then i would download all the updates and patches for the operating system.

11. torgo

torgo

to clear up some confusion:

- to upgrade to xp from 95 or 98 you do not have to load
    those operating systems first. if you load the xp cd it will ask you to insert your copy of 95 or 98 as a key to prove you have them then it will load the full version of xp onto your hard drive. it does not use any part of previous operating ystems and it is a waste of time to load them.

oops! saw at the end of an earlier post that you know this., but some did not. :eek:

Are you getting a new mb as well?

12. EdGreene

I have all updates, including MOBO, burned onto CD already. Thanks though.l

13. EdGreene

Yah.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116792

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice