1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building Custom Website

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by robobobo, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robobobo

robobobo Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

So I'm involved with a rapidly growing website - turn2me.org

I've been looking after everything tech with over the past number of months after a myraid of developers were working on it from all sorts of backgrounds and countries. Long story short the site was a bit of a technical mess and I've only managed to put some manners on it recently.

However the site is built on Joomla 2.5 and because of the amount of different plugins and custom code we've had to put into it, things aren't the most stable and the site is just too clunky.

We're looking to move this to a custom site, not something built off an typical framework like joomla or wordpress. We need to take this to the next level and future proof it in terms of security and features. We've a large database of 20,000+ users growing daily, a very active forum and we have various support services such as online group counselling sessions which happen in a real time chat on the site.

We have huge plans for this, and there's so much more we can offer to our users, but we just can't do it all with Joomla, I know it won't be able to fulfill everything we need going forward.

So we are looking to get a custom build for this. Can anyone offer some expert input on this in terms of how long it would take, any opinions on possible frameworks, languages and platforms we should be looking at? Even a ball park figure on what custom builds like this could cost?

Any input is greatly appreciated

Cheers

2. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    A good job will not be cheap.

Have a look at this article and then double it and that should get you somewhere close.

Yes you can get it done cheaper BUT you have already tried that.

3. DrP

DrP

Personally, I think you're wrong saying this can't be achieved with Joomla. While it might not be the best system out there, it sounds like the real problem is how the site has been built. I'd recommend speaking to a studio or agency and explaining what the problems are, what you're trying to achieve and then see whether than can come up with anything in your budget.

We use a CMS called ExpressionEngine, which looks ideal for what you've got there, but, as I said, it's not necessarily the choice of CMS that is the issue.

4. robobobo

robobobo Thread Starter

We are looking to have a site with all the features we have in the current one, including the forum, integrated group chats , our thought catcher app etc.. but also a lot more.

We have plans such as a special one on one chat that would allow our moderators to track our users on the site and start a chat with them if we felt they needed extra support.

We would also possibly be integrating mini profiles of people into the site, allowing them to choose preferences for certain things such as email notifications but also able to update their profile with achievements, such as "Spent an hour in group support"

We are looking to create something like the worlds first anonymous social mental health network

I feel that a custom build, rather than Joomla would help us achieve this, as we are going to require a huge amount of flexibility and custom features, nothing like this has been done before.

At this stage it looks like we will be able to secure a sizable amount of funding for this.

Obviously I can't go into too much detail about everything, but maybe that sort of gives you an idea of the scale and what we are trying to achieve?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090103

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice