1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building High End Gaming Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vivienne, Apr 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vivienne

vivienne Thread Starter

Hi

On another thread I was discussing the building of a gaming computer and received lots of good advice especially from StillLearnin' and active95. I hope they will read this.

These are the components that I have chosen. Any comments,suggestions and criticisms would be most welcome and appreciated.

Asus A7N8X-DLX NForce2 Mother board
    AMD Athlon (Barton) XP(333) 640k
    ATI Radeon 9700 PRO 128 MB
    DDR-Ram Corsair PC3200 (400) 512MB Twin X Dual Channel (is this the right one?)
    Antec Plus 1080 AMG Tower Case w/Antec 430W Truepower PS
    Westrn Digital 80GB 7200 RPM ATA100 8MB Hard Drive
    Lite ON LTR-52246S 52x24x52 CDRW
    Logitech MX300 High Performance Optical Mouse
    Viewsonice P95F+ 19" .25mm (AG) SVGA Monitor

This will be built by the shop that I am buying my components from.

I hope to hear your comments and will wait for them before I go ahead and purchase it.

Thanks!!

Vivienne

2. pronute

pronute

Very nice and yes the memory is right and happy gaming!:cool:

3. RSM123

RSM123

Vivienne,

In addition to opinions here take a look here :

http://www.tomshardware.com

As they have very informative benchmark tests / run offs on ranges of different components.

4. vivienne

vivienne Thread Starter

Hi RSM123

Tom's Hardware Guide was one of the sites that SillLearnin' had recommended and all my decisions were based on those tests.

Thanks, though! :)

Vivienne

5. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Should be a real nice system.. I like the fellowes optigel cordless better than the logitech, but that's just personal preference. You may be able to save a little on the CDRW buying a opti-rite burner instead, it supports all the formats the lite-on does, plus the bezel looks better.
    Get some altec lansing z640 surround speakers to go with it, or go all the way with kilipse(spelling). Don't scrimp on the speakers please.

6. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

vivienne, vivienne, vivienne: That was quick! What monitor choices do you have? I recommend the AOC 9KLR:

http://www.aocmonitor.com/aoc/monitors_9klr.html

Canadian distibutor:

http://www.aocmonitor.com/aoc/locator_distributor_canada.html

We include the AOC line in our systems. Tremendous monitor line with not even MINIMAL returns, problems, defects, etc. These are high-end units at which you can sit for DAYS not hours! The 19' offers 18' of real estate. I guarantee that you'll be drooling in front of the 9KLR matched up with an ATI videocard. We normally run at 1152x768x100(or higher)MHz or at 1280x768x100(or higher)MHz for everyday use. I can't comment on the mouse choice as we only use Microsoft(Intellimouse Optical). Looks like your ready to build! For the people who missed out and to keep this thread shorter, here is the link to the thread that led up to this:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127943&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

7. vivienne

vivienne Thread Starter

Hi StillLearnin'

:) :) For three days, I slept no more than 4 hours each night and spent almost every waking minute reading and reading.
    The place I am buying from carrys LG, Samsung, Viewsonic and Optiquest monitors.
    I have called the store where I intend to buy the computer and they say that they do special orders and so I emailed my request as directed by them. I'm not sure when I shall hear back. I also called the Canadian distributor who is closed today so I may not know if I can get this monitor until Monday. I sure hope so. It sounds fantastic. I did look for it after you first mentioned it but when it was not easily found I just gave up. You gave me new incentive to try harder. :)
    I wasn't sure which mouse to pick - the MX300 or the Explorer - so I have now changed it to Microsoft Intellimouse Optical. :)
    Almost :). I just have to decide on a monitor if I can't get the AOC one. It doesn't sound like you loved my choice to bits. :)

And I have to decide on timing. I would like to get it by mid-june at the latest. I know that you do not have a crystal ball, but do you think it would make a big difference in price if I bought it now or waited? I am getting so excited.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You've made my choosing the components real easy.

Vivienne

8. vivienne

vivienne Thread Starter

Hi gotrootdude

I can't find this brand here.

I didn't think of speakers. :) We have speakers that are 6 years old and not that good but I think I will just get the computer and let my son worry about getting the speakers.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Vivienne

9. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

vivienne. In order; AOC, Samsung and Viewsonic. We have hundreds and hundreds of 15", 17" and 19" CRT monitors(AOC) at several companies that do 2D, 3D, CAD and that type of work. Most switched from any brands they had, after seeing the AOC in action. Any high-end gaming rig(that we have built) ALWAYS has a 9KLR monitor included. The only true way to compare monitors is to have them available AND to be able to play with the controls! I'm sure you won't get a lot of feedback on the AOC as they are a high-end monitor and there are NOT alot of distributors. Here's a link:

http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/...pn=1&lb=1&ob=0&tag=st.co.2295747.top.124275-1

This link for online only:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1951565&sourceid=0100000030130612102498

Scares the H*LL out of me to see that after all I just stated!!! Regardless of the Walmart assoc., I still prefer it over the others. I happen to have had/do have(on another system) a Viewsonic 17". I think they suck more power, computer resources and run hotter than the AOC or the Samsung. We have also used them in the shop for testing "new builds" and prefer the AOCs.

Like I said before, the component market is the same as the Commodity market in the Stock Exchange. Supply and demand rule the prices. The one high spot might be better and/or cheaper ATI prices for sure. Maybe a slight drop in other prices, however it would pretty much be speculation on my part to state for sure this will happen. Our suppliers are "hinting" at higher prices so I just don't know. Kinda worse than crude oil price speculation!! The system is looking GOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you DO get the chance to try to contact the AOC distributor up there, find out if there is anywhere close that you could see one in action. I hope so!

10. vivienne

vivienne Thread Starter

Hi StillLearnin'

I am willing to buy the AOC without looking at it simply on your recommendation. The distributor is in Toronto and I have a son who lives there. I am going to visit him on Thursday. I am not sure if they would sell it to me or not as their website shows that they only serve dealers. From what you said about it, I don't have to worry about it being close to home for warranty and servicing unless, of course, I get a lemon. But the store I would buy it from only would look after it for the first year anyway. By hook or by crook that is the monitor I want. I'll figure out a way to get it - sight unseen and even thought it's sold at Walmart's. By the way, our Walmart's does not sell it. They only sell Daiwoo, they said.

Another question about the case: It comes with two fans and there is a place for a fan at front and a hdd fan. I don't think I need a hdd fan but should I get one for the front?

I think once I've gotten the monitor question settled, I am going to go ahead. The more I think about it the more impatient I'm getting.

I wish you could come over and see it when it's finished. I've got the adoption papers ready. :)

Vivienne

11. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Opti-gel cordless is here...
    http://www.fellowes.com/store/index.cfm?selectProductCategory=84,1,83&pCat=84&tsr=4

Wife made me switch to a wireless intellimouse when I recieved one free for filling out a microsoft survey. Now the intellimouse is being used by the kids, it doesn't compare to my old opti-gel. The Intellimouse feels to sluggish, and doesn't have the configuration options of the opti-gel. Plus the gel pad really saves your hands when working over long hours.

I know it's $60 for a little heard of mouse, but it really works so much better than the well known ones.

12. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

vivienne: Thank G*D the Wallyworld thing is ONLY online sales!1 This could be the ruination of me.........................

Is this your case??:

ANTEC Performance PLUS Model PLUS1080AMG- with Antec Original TRUE 430W P4 Power Supply ATX12V Retail
    Specifications:
    Case type: SOHO File Server
    Case Color: Antec Metalic Gray
    Case Dimensions: 20.6" x 8.1" x 18.6" (H/W/D)
    Drive bays: 10
    Front accesible 4x 5.25, 2x 3.5" Internal 4x 3.5"
    Expansion Slots: 3 Short 4 Full Length
    2 Rear Standard Fans 1 Side fan
    Washable Air Filter in front Model#: PLUS1080AMG
    Intel Approved Chassis for 3.06Ghz
    **ANTEC HALL OF FAME PAGE**

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage...15-11.jpg/11-129-115-04.JPG/11-129-115-12.jpg

If so, I don't think at this time more fans are needed.

Make sure to get a ThermalTake Volcano7 or 9 series heatsink/fan for that cpu. Keep it cool as possible.

Soooooooooooooooo Tempting!!!!!!! However, since I was born in the 40's, I "might" have to be the "adopter"!

13. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

14. vivienne

vivienne Thread Starter

Hi StillLearnin'

LOL!
    This is from the Antec website:

Thermally Advantaged Chassis 3.0 Ghz compatible
    TruePower - quieter, more stable, more powerful
    Front mounted USB & IEEE1394 (FireWire) ports
    Washable Air filter on the front
    Lockable swing out side panel with a handle
    - Quick release drive bays with release lever
    - Snap-in fan mounts
    Drive rails for 5.25" devices
    Removable Side Panels
    Removable Drive Cages for 3.5” drives
    10 Drive Bays:
    - External: 4 x 5.25", 2x 3.5"
    - Internal: 4 x 3.5"
    Cooling capacity: up to 5 x 80mm fans
    - 2 rear (installed)
    - 1 front (optional)
    - 1 HDD (optional>
    - 1 side panel (optional)
    Motherboards up to Extended ATX

It's the same model number as the one you gave specifications for. Notice, though, that the fans are different. There is no description on my store's site as this is not regular stock and has to be ordered.

What if it is the description I had? Would it need a fan? I keep reading how you should have one in front to suck in air.

Oh Geez! I thought I was done. :) I thought a heatsink/fan came with the CPU. These are the ones I have a choice for

Thermaltake Volcano 7+ Socket 478 / 462 HSF

Thermaltake Volcano 9 COOLMOD Socket 462 HSF

Which one would you choose? Or does that socket stuff mean that I do not have a choice? I forgot to learn about socket stuff. I guess I should. :)

The Volcano 7 is a special order. The Volcano 9 is regular stock. Both are about the same price - the 9 one is $3.00 more.

Did I miss out anything else. Like coolant and such?
    Those things are just little unimportant details. :)

Vivienne

15. AtreideS

AtreideS

All gamers need a DVD drive for relaxing. When you just can't go another round of Quake3, you need to relax and watch a nice DVD.
    Also you have probably found that most gaming magazines come with a DVD these days. They are just so handy, and yet only a tad more than a standard CD-ROM. If you can spare just a little more, I'd go get one.
    Ohh and you need some cold cathode lighting. Have a look at http://www.pccasegear.com.au, awww there are so many ways to make your high end PC look high end as well.:)
    By the way... I'm jealous;) Although I'd get a Lian-Li case if it were my system.:)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/129527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice