1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building my first computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Harrymurray08, Oct 8, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Harrymurray08

Harrymurray08 Thread Starter

I have been wanting to build a gaming pc for years but never have the courage to do it. I was wondering if somebody could help talk me through the dangers of building it. I know which parts I'm using and i know they are compatible. I also believe that i have a good understanding on the process and how to do it.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, first of all post ALL of the exact parts you are using. You would not be the first person [nor will you be the last] to purchase parts that do not work together.
    Next there are a lot of videos online showing how to assemble a system. The most important thing; go slowly and check your work. You do not receive extra points for how fast you do the build.

This thread is an example of purchasing parts that will not work [actually they will after updating the bios]
    https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrade-gone-wrong.1233884/

3. Harrymurray08

Parts listed:
    cpu, Ryzen 5 2600, wraith stealth cooler
    Motherboard, Gigabyte b450m (micro atx)
    Gpu, nvidia 1660
    Ram, 8gb ddr4 3000mz
    psu, corsair 80+ bronze 55ow
    Case, nzxt h500
    Storage, 480gb ssd
    These are the parts that im planning on using, can you see any incompatibilities?

4. lynx1021

lynx1021

The CPU is supported from the "f1" bios, probably the first. I f I were you I would get 2 sticks of 8GB ram so you could run dual channel and 32ooMhz, 16GB is kind of minimum for gaming. I have read Ryzen likes higher memory frequency's. Might want to add a 1 or 2TB mechanical drive for storage for your saved games. Where the Corsair PSU is ok for normal use you might consider a seasonic .

5. Harrymurray08

okay so do these adjustments sound okay?
    pu, Ryzen 5 2600, wraith stealth cooler
    Motherboard, Gigabyte b450m (micro atx)
    Gpu, nvidia 1660
    Ram, 16gb ddr4 3200mz
    psu, seasonic 80+ bronze 520w
    Case, nzxt h500
    Storage, 1tb hdd 120gb ssd

6. Harrymurray08

Also another question, would the 16gb of ram be necessary or would i be able to just upgrade further down the line?

7. lynx1021

lynx1021

It really is necessary for any gaming and with your CPU setup and It is best to buy the memory in matched pairs or quads. If you decide to add more later they may not match up well with the older memory. I have 8 year old boards I am maxed out on my memory (16GB) and on my 2013 laptop. You need to look at the recommended hardware for the games you want to play to see if your list is up too it. I have 8GB on my Company computer and just doing Excel and having multiple windows open on office work I sometimes max out my memory. Are you planning on using the M2 connector on the board for your SSD? Are you planning on using a NVME drive on the board? They have come down, I would use at least a 512GB. Don't forget about the cost of the OS.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One thing I see you might want to change; micro board. A micro board is generally designed for basic use ie running office, email, etc NOT any type of stressful endeavor. A micro board will not have the heavy duty capacitors, heavy duty pw regulation, steel pci-e slot, extra chipset cooling, etc, etc. If you are going to stay with gigabyte and the X400 series chipset, go with something like this;
    https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145060

lynx1021 likes this.
  9. lynx1021

lynx1021

What is your budget?

10. Harrymurray08

My budget is below £600. I want to use the pc for mostly gaming but some video editing. Also i am planning to use an ssd connected via sata, and i have an activation code for windows 10 already.

11. Harrymurray08

There is no compatibility issues with only using 1 8gb ram stick though?

12. replay

replay

No issues using one 8 gig stick
    At least u can buy another of the same when u can afford it
    As mentioned better to get two for dual channel performance
    Also I would buy a m.2 drive (boot)and the large hdd (storage)

13. Blu_86

Blu_86

This. Though Ryzen really does benefit from high memory frequencies, there is no guarantee, and add to that AMD boards can be very picky about the memory you are using try to stick to QVL lists for your particular motherboard. Also correct is the power scheme superiority of X470/X570 (or high quality B450's there are some) to better accommodate high frequency ram. What's more running DDR4 3200 at DDR4 3200 MHZ 24/7 usually takes a few tweaks of voltages here and there unless you get luck and get Samsung B-Die, or some Hynix variants where you can set XMP 2.0 and it just works. Usually (as in my case) I had to raise SOC, VDDP, ProcODT just a notch with my Ryzen 3600 with DDR4 3200 to be stable.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ryzen used to be very picky about ram however after a LOT of bios updates and the 4xxx and 5xxx boards, they are fine. I have used corsair vengeance LPX ram in a LOT of ryzen builds and it works great [this is across asus, asrock, and gigabyte boards] even overclocks above rated speed. I never use XMP on any ryzen build; always set speed, timings, and vdimm manually then test with memtest.

15. Harrymurray08

Would the asrock b450 steel legend be compatible? As it seems like it has dropped in price

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233963

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice