1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building My First PC; assistance needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ecto, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ecto

Ecto Thread Starter

Hey everyone. I've decided to build my own computer rather than buy a main brand. I know very little about building computers in general, but I think I have a (hopefully) ok set-up going on.

My maximum cost is $2000, but thats only if it HAS to be that high. I'm more in the $1500-$1700 ball park. I plan on using this computer for mainly gaming and some regular school assignments (using word, excel, powerpoint, maybe editing photos ect...). I would like it to be able to play the newest games like Battlefield 2142, Neverwinter Nights 2, and most new games coming out in the near future.

I've done a little research, and so far this is what I've come up with.

Case-$59.99
    RAIDMAX Horizon ATX-287WSP Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower 3 in 1 combo Computer Case 380W Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811156065

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail $509.99

ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI x 16 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $219.99

SAMSUNG Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology - OEM $32.99

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail $277.00

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $89.99

Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2b 1pk w/Upgrade Coupon for Vista - OEM $139.99

NOTE: This doesn't include a video card, and it comes out to about $1336. What is the best video card i can get for around 500 bucks?

I'm wondering if these parts are all compatible, if the USB drives will work once its plugged in, and if I'm missing anything. I'm looking for the best computer possible with my budget.

Any input is great, and I really appreciate your help. If This system is overkill for what I'm wanting, say so, because with the setup above I won't be able to buy a monitor, so I will end up using a 8 year old one. Thanks in advance!

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Best video card right now...8800GTX.

I'd advise you to gat a 7600GS or something as a placeholder under DX10 gets underway and under control.

That power supply WILL NOT power this system, and it's going to be garbage.
    Look at Corsair, Seasonic or FSP

If you want to save a couple of bucks, get the E6600. That's the sweet spot in $ to power right now.

3. Ecto

Ecto Thread Starter

Video Card-429.99
    eVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130071

That video card is in the price range. Is that a nice one? Will it be compatible?

And for the power supply issue, should i get a new case, then a separate power supply? Because the power supply the case comes with won't support it (like you said). Or can I get a different power supply then remove the one it comes with?

And does everything else work? Will the mobo be able to hook up to the USB Ports on the front of the case, or onto other cases if this one doesn't work?

And again, its pretty much only going to be used for gaming. I need it be able to play the games I listed above, and maybe upgrade it further if new requirements are needed.

So I shouldn't get a DX10 yet?
    Do i need a sound card or anything, or can i use speakers that i already have here at the house. Sorry about all the questions, but I'm new to this.

4. Ecto

Ecto Thread Starter

Does this setup have enough cooling? Or would I need to buy additional fans.

First I need my internals critiqued for what I'm looking for. Then The case and power supply that will support it. Again, thanks!

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

For what you want to run and for future upgrades I would highly recommend this PSU.

http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S75QB

The PSU is an item where you really don't want to cut corners. If you particulary like the Raidmax case, just pull out the PSU that comes with it, and install the one above.

If you are going to run a 8800 series video card, measure the card carefully to make sure it will fit in the case. There have been a few problems lately with the 8800 series cards not fitting certain cases.

Also, that particular case has a very poor thermal design with only one 80mm fan. You MAY encounter thermal problems with that case. I recommend that you look for a case such as this which has a much better thermal design.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129152

This case has a 120mm rear fan (installed) a fan mount for another 120mm intake fan, an air guide and an air vent. If you don't like the looks of this case, look for one that you like with at least two 120mm fans (one intake and one exhaust) an air guide and an air vent.

6. Ecto

Ecto Thread Starter

I can't really afford that Power supply. With $1700, what do you think is the best gaming computer I can make, including all the parts(case keyboard ect ect)? I know the processor is the most important, followed by Video card and RAM. Then after that you need a Mobo that supports it, a power supply that fits your Mobos needs, a case that can fit it all, a Hard Drive and a CD drive.

A list or maybe what your ballpark guess is on what I can get would be nice. I would like the best processor and video card I can get, but is there anyway to get a really nice one and still keep the costs low? Again, thanks!

7. Ecto

Ecto Thread Starter

Any input?

8. Ecto

Ecto Thread Starter

Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, FCC, TUV, CE, C-tick, CCC, CB - Retail $129.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail $509.99

ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI x 16 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $219.99

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail $277.00

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $89.99

SAMSUNG Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology - OEM $32.99

MITSUMI Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Model D359M3D/D359M3B - OEM $6.99

Video Card-399.99
    eVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130071

ATRIX CSCI-A9001-C4 Black SECC steel sheeting FCC class CB&CE approved ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
    120mm Fans: side x 1
    90mm Fans: rear x 1
    $69.99

Does this build work? Any problems you guys see?

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

The case actually looks pretty good from a cooling standpoint.

The manufacturers website appears to show an 80mm "blow hole" fan installed. A "blow hole" is one of the most efficient ways to improve case cooling. Whether the location will interfere with the top optical drive you won't know until you try to fit an optical drive.

If the "blow hole" fan interferes with mounting a drive in the top position, it is really not a problem, just relocate the drive to the next position down.

In any event, this case appears to have a much better thermal arrangement than the 1st case you selected.

The Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 is a very good PSU and should have no problem running the 8800 series card.

10. ledzeppelinftw

ledzeppelinftw

Everything I know about computers, tie into gaming.

There is no feasible reson to buy the 8800 series yet, it is completely new..as in..it came out sometime last month.

The best bagn for your buck would be the GeForce 7900 512 mb.

Make sure your graphics card can support at least 512 MB.

If you are a gamer and are playing games like battlefield 2 and World of Warcraft. Then the minimum graphics card that you can buy and still run at optimum settings will be the GeForce 7600 GS 512 MB which is only about 130 dollars, and is damn good.

Anything below that, and you might have to turn the settings off of maximum on some games.

11. Clumbsy_Mage

Clumbsy_Mage

The performance/$$$ ratio for buying the E6700 instead of a E6600 is pretty bad. Save over $100 getting a E6600 and easily overclock it to 3GHz. You have no HSF listed in your basket, buy an aftermarket HSF and TIM to decrease your CPU temperatures by at least 10 degrees giving you more headroom for overclocking. These Core 2 Duo's are amazing overclockers and it would be a shame to waste one by not doing so.

12. ledzeppelinftw

ledzeppelinftw

was goign to suggest you start using some thermal grease such as artic silver 5.

but then I noticed the huge 120mm fan. so you should be fine, but if you have any problems with the cpu overheating and turning off...thermal grease should solve it.

13. Ecto

Ecto Thread Starter

Ok, so you guys are saying the mobo, the power supply, and the case are all ok. Good.

Now, I have no idea what 'overclocking' means.:confused:

But I think I get the jist of what you guys are saying. Your saying that their is no point in getting a processor that fast, that I could instead get the E6600 over the E6700 and save a couple bucks. Great. But then, if I get the E6600 instead, will I be able to still use that nice video card? The video card is GeForce 8800 640 MB 320 bit. Is this overkill?

So will the RAM, Processor, Harddrive, and video card run together?

And is it ok from a cooling standpoint? Are 2 fans enough.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail $309.99 This is the E6600 processor, and it will save me $200 if I get it instead. Will this still allow me to play Good games like Battlefeild 2142, Oblivion ect ect (or does that have to do with my video card?)

Again, sorry for all the little questions, This is my first time and I really don't want to buy the wrong parts.

14. Ecto

Ecto Thread Starter

And Do I need a sound-card, or can I just plug in normal speakers and it will be fine?

15. telegramsam

telegramsam

If you want to save a whole bunch of money right now and allow a bigger budget for your PSU, get an E6300 processor. The E6300 is only $190 at Newegg. I'm using one right now and I can tell that it ROCKS. That will save you a TON of money and I promise your gaming will NOT suffer for it.

As ledzep stated, I wouldn't invest in an 8800 right now. Look at his advice on video cards.

The 8800GTX/S is a DX10 card, but DX10 isn't out. I'm sure you can imagine the potential problems. There may be none, however. But I think his advice on a 7900 or 7600 is your best bet right now.

Don't say you can't afford a really nice power supply. You can't afford to NOT get one. When cheap power supplies die, they often take some or all of your other gear with them. Makes the $70 or $80 your saving now seem pretty paltry...

See how you like the onboard sound before you buy a card. If you don't like it, adding a PCI card is really easy later on.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536455

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice