1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

building my first PC have problems already

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dragon_27, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dragon_27

dragon_27 Thread Starter

hello my first time here, and my first time building my onw PC and i have ran into some big problems i think.

ok here's the set up of my comp.

antec 300 case
    intel LGA 775 2.55GHZ E7200
    raidmax RX-630ss PSU 630 watt
    nvidia 780i mobo
    4gigs (2, 2gigs) OCZ RAM
    GeForce 8800 GT vid card.
    WD 640gig HD

i got my vid card yesterday the last thing i needed to complete my peice of work. i get all set up and all i plug in my monitor and i turn it on. and i get the: no input signal error on my monitor i've called PNY tech support even had a friend give me some ideas. i just can't seem to get it to work. i've even done what the tech support said and it still didn't work the fan on the vid card runs and everthing but i have no clue on how to get this to work PNY tech support said my PSU isn't strong enough. does it really matter if the vid card doesn't get a 26amp run to it like they say it does i have the 6pin plug in with the two 4pin connectors running from the PSU to it making two outta 5 of my case fans non functional. help

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Do you have another video card you can try? Or maybe borrow one from a friend?

3. dragon_27

dragon_27 Thread Starter

i have a 7300 i fried lol but no i don't have another vid card i was debating on spend 150.00 for geforce 9500 gt on payday to see.

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

The power supply only has two +12v rails rated at 22 amps each. If it is built to ATX specs the +12v2 rail is isolated and dedicated to the processor, which actually only leaves you one 22 amp rail for your video card and all other +12v components.

In addition Raidmax does not give the temperature at which the output was calculated. When manufacturers don't give that information, the output is generally calculated at 25C which is not a realistic temperature. The power supply temperature is most likely operating around 40C, so you will be loosing around 10-12% of the advertised output just from the temperature variation. Also, with modular power supplys you loose power at the connections that hard wired power supplys don't lose.

If you want to have trouble free operation, I would try a power supply with a large single +12v rail (45-50 amps) or a power supply with at least three +12v rails rated at 17-19 Amps per rail. Also, you should look for a power supply where the output is calculated at 40-50C.

You should read this article which talks about modular power supplys, wattage claims, lost amperage on multiple rails from non power sharing, etc.

http://www.pcpower.com/technology/myths/

5. pvc_

pvc_

try taking out one of the RAM sticks and disconnect anything you don't need for booting your PC like CD drives or other devices. You could also buy a more powerful PSU from Best Buy and see if that makes a difference, and then you can return it once you determine what the problem is.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755542

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice