1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building my first PC! Need help with some stuff

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PandaK551, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PandaK551

PandaK551 Thread Starter

So I want to build my first Gaming PC! I have already made a selection on some of the Components! I checked the components I have and they should work fine I just need more experienced people to take a look at what I got so I don't order anything wrongly! I also need to select a Power Supply and a CPU Cooler!

What Power Supply would be best for my system?
    Should I take water-cooling or air-cooling for my CPU?
    If I take Water-Cooling how does it work?

Here is which components I have:

Sharkoon T9 Value Green Edition Midi Tower
    Intel Core i7 4790K 4x 4.00GHz
    8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 DIMM
    ASRock Z87 Extreme4
    4096MB Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970

Thanks for your help!

2. trogdo

trogdo

Air coolers have gotten tremendously good over the last few years, I wouldn't bother with water cooling. I have a Cooler Master Hyper 412S and it does fine (stops me putting the side panels on my ancient case though, it's a pretty tall cooler), Were I less restricted by my bank account, I would choose a Noctua cooler, probably the NH-D14.

I think people here would recommend you not go for ASRock hardware, and buy ASUS or Gigabyte instead. I am a fan of Asus. I don't know much about power supplies, got lucky with a semi-modular 750W Antec TruePower for real cheap and I have to say it is a quality item.

Hope this helps. Building your own PC is awesome, time after time I enjoy it still, have fun!

3. jamesx121

jamesx121

first we need to find out what country U are going to be purchasing these parts from---
    95% of us are from either the USA/Canada or England/Australia
    we will try to give U idea of prices in your home country---
    second we need a idea of your budget-------

that graphics card is toward the top of the scale---
    a better motherboard would be a AsRock Z97 Extreme---
    the Case has some modern features but
    a case with removable hard drive cages will help a lot with air flow
    if U go with air-cooled CPU. just remove the cages U don't need.
    these two ideas will add more money to your build cost.
    we will leave the PSU out untill we find out your budget.
    James
    can U get on YouTube without any problem ????
    if So check this out about water cooling
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR9jEczwCZ4
    by a guy named JayzTwoCents----
    he has quite a few videos on the pros & cons // how too of water cooling----

4. PandaK551

PandaK551 Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply!

I live in Germany so its a bit different for me.
    I went for the 970 because I want a high level build which is also reflected in my 4790K. For the case I mainly went with it due to the color although that is not of high importance for me.

For the cooler I looked at several ones and thought the Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A (BW) looked good
    I chose the 630 Watt be quiet! Pure Power L8 CM Modular but I dont know if that is correct.

I want to stay around 1000 € . At the moment with all the components I need I am at 1120 which is fine as well.

I dont know if ASRock is a good idea or if I should go for a Motherboard from a different suplier.

I know JayzTwoCents quite good but I wasnt aware of that video. Ill be sure to check it out

5. jamesx121

jamesx121

Other guys here on the site will have to give you their
    ideas on whether Azrock are any good.
    one thing though.
    you have a Mid sized Case listed.
    check to see how tall the CPU cooler is.
    if it's too tall you won't be able to close up your
    case. have to go with a different case if it's too tall.
    some where it was mentioned about leaving the side
    panel off because the CPU Cooler was too tall.
    that is a bad idea over time.
    you will never get proper air flow with the case open.

6. PandaK551

PandaK551 Thread Starter

I read about the Issues of the size of this cooler as well. So I checked my case and while it would be a tight fit it should close. But I am tinking about a different case. Specifically since you said, that the removable HDD trays are a good idea

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just some thoughts on your build;
    1 The video card you selected requires a minimum pw supply of 500W. It is never a good idea to go with min specs. A quality 550-600W or so pw supply would be fine. Recommended brands; seasonic, corsair [only hx, tx, or ax models] FSP [only the units with 5yr warranty] or antec HCG models.

2 A good case with good airflow and cable mgt is essential. I like and use coolermaster cases however there are a LOT of quality cased to choose from AND a case is very subjective; what I like you may not like.

3 Water cooling. In my opinion, water cooling is a leak waiting to happen. Get a quality cooler like the coolermaster 212 and you will be fine.

4 Motherboard. I use and recommend either asus or gigabyte boards. ALL board makers have a full line of boards from cheap to high end. Be sure you select a board up to the stress of gaming. High end mb have heavy duty VRs [voltage regulators] heavy duty capacitors, better chipset cooling, etc. These things are necessary for a gaming system. In short do not go with a budget or low end mb.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147450

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice