1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building my first system from scratch

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by medic17506, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. medic17506

medic17506 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Brandon
    Okay, I have begun my first building my own system project....I do have a case & power supply now.

I would like recomendations as far as motherboard and processors go preferably with reasons why you prefer that particular model or brand so I can make an informed decision.

What I plan on doing with the machine is aside from the usual internet stuff, microsoft office professional, QuickBooks (4 different versions)...plus other various business software, nothing major besides that. No big graphics oriented programs or gaming.

Your advise is appreciated.

2. southernlady

southernlady

You may not want it for gaming but you do want a decent graphics card...mid level. I'm running a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000 and I wish I had gone up a notch. Not for the gaming but just because I like the graphics aspects of the stuff I do use it for. I do alot of web design and stuff.And going up a notch would not have cost that much more. About $10. more than what I did spend.

I'm using a MSI KT6V-LSR Socket A AMD Mainboard -VIA KT600 -Serial ATA RAID -LAN and I love it. http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=KT6V-LSR&class=mb

Cost about $75 with tax. I had an Abit but it wasn't as stable.

And go for a DVD R+/- burner combo unless you really want two separate ones. They have come down in price dramatically. I've seen them as low as $49.99. Also make sure you get enough memory, 512 at least. And as odd as it sounds, I'd still put an A: Drive in a system. There ARE a few things you need one for.

Can I be nosy and ask WHY 4 different versions of Quickbooks? Liz

3. medic17506

medic17506 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Brandon
    Okay...please bear with me I'm not too up on the AMD as opposed to Pentium..I am familiar at best with the hardware, which is one reason I'd like to build my own - to get a better grasp of the hardware behind my applications.

Anyway, No, I don't mind you being nosy :D I am a QuickBooks ProAdvisor (www.qbproadvisor.com) as well as a QuickBooks Sleeter Certified Consultant (www.sleeter.com). We run that many versions (some people run more than that) because we have clients on that many versions and QuickBooks is not backward compatible....if I was to open a QB2002 file on QB2004 and work on it, back it up and send it back...they would not be able to open it because it would convert it to 2004....anyway, that was a lengthy explanation to a simple question.

4. digger747

digger747

I have built 5 0r 6 new systems.The last 2 i just completed i used Abit NF7-S and AMD Barton chips. I buy all my parts from Newegg.com,great company.Good prices and excellant service.Rate high on resellers.com Been using kingston memory with great success in abit motherboard. As far as im concerned best motherboard right now.

5. southernlady

southernlady

Unless you just really HAVE to have an Intel, I'd go with an AMD. There is also a new one out...I don't know much about it, but it's cheaper than the AMD Athlon.

It's called the AMD Sempron Processor http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1608491,00.asp I did a comparison of
    ALL the processors at www.tigerdirect.com cause I knew they were carrying the AMD Sempron. (we get their catalog)
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_cpu.asp

I hope this has helped and not confused you too much and yes, I understand about backward compatible. Liz

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273330

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice