1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building my first system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tommotheone, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tommotheone

tommotheone Thread Starter

Hey all, I'm currently looking around the web for different components i'm going to need for my new system I want to build, this system is gonna be purely based on gaming as i found out the system i bought a few month ago isnt really a gaming one.

Now I am confused as to whether the motherboard memory is compatible with gpu memory? for example the motherboard i'm going to purchase uses ddr3 memory however the graphics i'm looking at says DDR5 so it's kinda thrown me off a little bit unsure on whether if i want that GPU am i going to need a different motherboard.

The motherboard im going to buy is here:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/giga...-(x16)-ddr3-1666(oc)-sata-3gb-s-sata-raid-atx

and the GPU is:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-...gddr5-gpu-850mhz-800cores-2x-dl-dvi-i-dp-hdmi

All other components are fine and my total for this sytem is around £308 if anyone can sortof guide me through this little bit it would be much appreciated!

2. tommotheone

Im now looking at a new card but it is NVIDIA GTS450 would this work well compatability wise on the mobo im purchasing or would another motherboard be more suitable. I dont want to buy an intel motherboard because I want it to be a cheap system but also very good at the same time :)

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Motherboard memory and GPU memory are separate, so yes they will be compatible.

4. tommotheone

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A wattage rating is about the last thing to consider when purchasing a pw supply. The most important item for consideration is the quality of the unit. Good brands; corsair, seasonic, pcpower&cooling, FSP. Next is the amp rating on the 12V. Since most things in a modern system are powered from the 12V rail, having a lot of wattage on the 5V ups the wattage rating however it does little for you.

Next I would highly recommend getting a different mb that what you linked to. IMO when you build an amd system, you use a quality board using an amd/ati chipset. Same goes for an intel build; use a quality board with an intel chipset. When you use a board with a third party chipset like what you linked to, you induce an extra layer of complexity and therefore more "issues"

Gigabyte is a fine mfg of boards however go with a board using an amd chipset. Here is an excellent example of a quality board for an amd build.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128394

Note this board supports AM2, AM2+, and AM3. It uses ddr2 memory. I have used this board in a home theater build for myself and I have been very pleased with its performance.

6. tommotheone

hmm i understand, however that mb is micro ATX and i dont like the idea of having a micro atx i would like a standard ATX. that is basically uupgrading from what Ive got now and from what I have heard, Micro ATX have problems with cooling etc.

I understand what you mean with the different chipsets and therefore I have found this:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/giga...-(x16)-ddr3-1666(oc)-sata-3gb-s-sata-raid-atx

this seems suitable however only has one PCI-E slot but it is about the only one i can find with 2.0.

Also I was referring to the wattage because of the graphics card I am going to buy, the tech specs for my card dont really give a good indication for what type of psu to go for.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I posted decent brands above. The board you linked to is fine. Do check the gigabyte site for cpu compatibility, With the video card you linked to, I would go with a quality 550~600W pw supply. Something like this corsiar unit Note if you go with a corsair, stay away from the "builder" series. They are low quality units.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976630

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice