1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

building my first

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cmny3, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cmny3

cmny3 Thread Starter

Ok guys, I searched but couldn't find an answer to this one. I'm going to finally finish my first home built pc this weekend. I'm salvaging a hard drive out of another pc. Will I have a problem installing brand new windows xp os on a hard drive that had it on it. I was told I needed to purchase the operating system since I change motherboards. Any advice would be great. thanks again in advance.

2. norton850

norton850

Not totally sure if you are taking the hard drive out of the old system and just putting it in the new and hoping XP on the drive will work in the new system (answer to that is probably not) or if you are planning to reformat the drive and reinstall windows (in this case no problem)

Just remember that legally a copy of XP can only be installed on one system at a time.

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

4. cmny3

cmny3 Thread Starter

thanks again guys. I am actually planning on reformating and reinstalling a legal copy of xp. I just wanted to make sure the old stuff won't screw me up.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/297181

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice