1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building my PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skeme, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skeme

skeme Thread Starter

This thread relates to one I posted yesterday...http://forums.techguy.org/t326233.html

SInce then I did some more investigation last night.

If I power up the system with nothing connected except the motherboard /cpu and the HDD and CDrom drives by power only (No IDE cable) then both disc drives are operational.
    This system doesnt include any cards or memory at all just as a troubleshooting process.

If i then connect the IDE cable to either or both of the disc drives and try powering up the system (keeping all other variables constant) the drives connected by IDE do not power up. The CPU fan does though.??????

By putting memory in, graphics card in etc the same problems still occur. the drive connected by IDE cable does not start.

I thought the IDE cable was simply a data cable?? It seems strange that the drive is not able to power up through connecting a data cable??? It would appear to be some kind of shortage in the motherboard? am i right?

I have tried several IDE cables and they all have the same outcome.

Any help is much appreciated.
    Thanks

2. skeme

skeme Thread Starter

One last thing to add, sorry.....

I then took the brand new motherboard out and put the old motherboard back into the system, again everything powered up....until i connected anything by IDE cable????

Is there something major im doing wrong?

3. Euba

Euba

How many watts does your power source puts out. Check this, you need at least a 350 watt source. If this is not the problem, then take your motherboard back to where you got it from and get a new one or your money back.

4. skeme

skeme Thread Starter

Well its unlikely its gonna be the motherboard I would have thought as it does the same with both boardS????

The power supply isnt a 300watt supply its slightly less (cant tell u exactly as Im not with it at the moment) but this powers each thing individually - its data flow thats the problem so would that be the case???

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

When a HDD has the ribbon cable connected backwards, the result is that the drive will refuse to power up.

That should be a significant clue to your problem??

6. skeme

skeme Thread Starter

But doesnt the ribbon only go in one way round due the nobble on te top? and the pin configuration?

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

But it is not difficult to get one end the wrong way.

Your symptoms are exactly those of a reversed cable.

Not hard to check out, pin 1 and the stripe are usually closest to the power connector.

8. skeme

skeme Thread Starter

ok i'll give this a go. thanks.

9. Euba

Euba

If you have the pin 1 and stripe right, try starting over again. Check the jumper on the back of your drives, make sure they are set right for your configuration. Check and make sure the HDD ribbon is in IDE 1 slot. You never know, good luck.

10. gaftop1

gaftop1

the ribbon could be bad . happened to me

11. Euba

Euba

I agree with gaftop1, I've had more than 1 ribbon go bad on a computer before. Try a new one. Couldn't hurt.

12. Euba

Euba

One more thing, I've found that some motherboard, like the pc chips board, don't like generic memory but will work with name brand memory like kingston or samsung. Some ASUS board are like this also. Make sure that the memory is seated into the motherboard. You need memory to get the BIOS up. Without memory you get what you are talking about.

P.S. I still think it would be a good idea to upgrade the power supply.

13. gaftop1

gaftop1

do you get any beeps at all

14. skeme

skeme Thread Starter

I have tried three different IDE cables - all give the same problem...with or without memory installed.

If I set up the IDE to the Hard drive the jumper only needs to be set as master as its the only drive right?

I have tried with and without memory chip installed....I purchased the memory from PCworld its 256mb PC2700 DDR 333MHZ 184 pin Dimm....is this correct to use with my motherboard?

Thanks for the help so far...any further help will be much appreciated.

15. obvious

obvious

all i can think is the mobo. i saw a thread with the exact same problems and ideas as here in the pcformat forums about nearly 2 years ago. ok, it may not have anything to do with this, but the guy in the end just bit the bullet and bought a new mobo.

and skeme, what the hell are you buying from pcworld for?!? they just suck generally! i had a pc from them, which they claimed had a geforce3ti500 gfx card and they gave me a pc with a geforce2mx400! plus theyre over priced.

for example, i saw a number of generic unbranded usb cables on sale at their newport road branch in cardiff. those cables are worth about 15p each. they were selling them for £1.50 EACH.

anyway, its the mobo i think. try the parts with a different pc if possible.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326609

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice