1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building New Computer+Help+Problems+Help+Hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jonasdatum, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonasdatum

jonasdatum Thread Starter

Hello,

After a very long while. I got two components for finishing my computer. However, I put all the hardware in and nothing happened. There is nothing on the screen. No light on anything.

When I put in a floppy disk, I get this screwy nosie. I can't even use the CDRW drive to boot up? What is the problem? How can I fix it?

Here are my specs:

Abit Be62 (I don't know the version).
    -DIMMs 256MB 133Mhrtz and a 64 100Mhrtz ( I know both sticks work)
    -Floopy generic (I know it works so that is not a problem)
    -PIII 750e
    -Maxtor 40gig 5400 drive OEM (haven't tested, but just go it)
    -Geforce2 MX 400

2. brianF

brianF

Have you entered bios setup and setup the processor, hard drive, enable floppy and set to 1.44mb

Press the delete key when you see the message to enter bios

3. jonasdatum

Hello BrainF.

I can't get into the BIOS. There is no picture on my screen. What am I to do? I check the wires, pulled them out and put them back in one at a time.

I will check again and get back to you. In the mean time, do you have any other ideas?

TY
    JD

4. anglin_fool

anglin_fool

IMHO, I would start with just your one stick of good memory and your video card only. If it still doesn't show, change to the other stick of memory. Then I would say your Video Card is bad. The CPU, Memory, and video card is all you need for now to test. If this tests OK, add floppy, then HD.

5. Rockn

Rockn

If you installed a new motherboard make sure none of the standoffs that screw into the backplane are grounding out your motherboard. Next make sure your clock multiplier is set correctly for the CPU installed. Take out one of the memory sticks and do what AF stated in only installing the video card, memory and CPU....also unplug all your ribbon cables from the board, if one of them is backwards it won't boot either.

6. jonasdatum

Hello and thanks for the help so far....

I tried the cable thing and just about eveyrthing else. I can't test the video card for a few days because the associate willing to help me is unavailble. As for the HD, this is proving to be perplexing :confused: . When I decided to test the HD in on my Win9x system, the BIOS detected it. However, Win9x didn't. So I will go over to me associates home and test the HD further.

Summed up:
    *HD needs further testing. The BIOS detects it, but Win98 doesn't.
    *Video card hasn't been tested yet.
    *Did everything else you guys told me to do.

7. brianF

brianF

If you didn't fdisk the hard disk(paritition and format)windows won't see it although the bios will so it sounds like the hard drive is alright.

8. jonasdatum

Hello.

Just one question before I use fdisk; which partition option(s) should I use? How would this effect me installing win2k aka windows 2000 on it?

Thank You.

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

How large is the hard drive?

10. jonasdatum

Hello.

It is a 40gig drive 5.5.

11. anglin_fool

anglin_fool

IMHO, FDISK it using NTFS Support all on one partition. (later)

I thought that this was a 'no video' prob? I would work on that first since it is the major problem. If the HD was set up before as NTFS, the Win98 will not see it at all as NTFS is not supported by Win98.

12. jonasdatum

Hello.

I have great news. I got the video! I don't know how, but I got it. Now as for my questions about FDisk (check my prior post to this thread), What options do I use to partition a 40gig drive and how do I install win2k after that on the new system? "Check my prior post on this thread.

Help, thanks guys.

13. jonasdatum

It hasn't been formatted yet. I wan't to format it! I am asking what options and how via fdisk. Or if I can format it by boot from the Win2k CD.

That is part of my problem. How do I get the bios to boot to floppy on start up.

14. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi jonasdatum

Now that you have video you can try changing the boot option in your bios to boot up from the cdrom. How to get into your systems bios should be listed in your motherboard's manual. Then you should be able to boot up the 2000 disk and setup the hard drive from there.

15. jonasdatum

Hello.

I know.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63931

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice