Building new computer, opinions on a few parts

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

prokrastinet

I'm building a new machine with a limited budget. HOwever, at the same time I don't want to get anything thats ******. I'm looking for slight future upgradability which is why i went socket 939 and PCI-e.

AMD 64 3000+ Winchester (skt 939)
GIGABYTE "GA-K8NF-9" NVIDIA nForce4 4X
GIGABYTE nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT
Mushkin 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200

I had originally thought about an x700 Pro for my video card, but looking at a lot of reviews the 6600gt beats out the x700 in almost every category. That CPU i've read a lot of topics on it, about people OC'ing it to 2600mhz on stock cooling and minimal voltage increases. I won't be taking it that high, but OC'ing is an issue. Does Gigabyte make a good 6600gt in your opinion? Will that motherboard be efficient? I don't need many bells and whistles. And I only thought about getting 1 stick of 512 DDR 3200 right now, and buying another stick after taxes to take advantage of dual-channel.

Triple6

Rob
It should be a very good system. Gigabyte is a pretty good manufacturer so you shouldn't have any problems there. NForce4 boards are great and feature packed; bells and whistles are standard.

prokrastinet

any other opinions as i will be most likely purchasing by thursday? ive decided to go XFX instead of Gigabyte for my 6600gt, as i've been told the memory runs @ 1000mhz, instead of 900.

Triple6

Rob
Nooo!!! XFX is not a good manfacturer. They have a very high rate of failures on their products. After all XFX is a division of PINE and PINE made the absolute worst motherboards, worse then PCCHIPS.

If I get my mobo before you order on Thursday I'll let you know what I think.

Second the XFX comment.

prokrastinet

really? so i should stick with the Gigabyte than. hehe, certainly glad i asked ;).

in that sense, do you think it would be wise, or atleast safe to purchase a refurb 6600gt Gigabyte from newegg than? would save me a little cash to get a good case.
and what would be your "prefered" brand for the 6600gt than? b/c i just checked newegg and they don't even list the Gigabyte 6600gt anymore retail :(

Triple6

Rob
ASUS, Leadtek, Albatron, MSI, PNY, Gigabyte are all fine. Leadtek has an Extreme 6600GT thats clocked higher then the rest. I don't mind refurbed items, or OEM

prokrastinet

yea the refurb was i think $40-50 less than the retail. ive only gotten one refurb item before in my life and it was DOA so I have always been afraid of them. but the refurb i got was a motherboard, back when i was first learning how to build computers. so any number of things could have happened.

The refurb gigabyte is $149.99, whereas the retail (when they had it yesterday) was $188, with that extra ~$40, i could get a better case/psu

I'll agree that XFX cards are crap and their support is unreachable. I have never had one but I can find you dozens of links from people who have.

Remember one thing about a refurb. Somebody sent it back. You get 15 days and then you are on your own. The manufacturer won't help you and niether will newegg. Spend the $40 difference.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online