1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building New Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jackld, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jackld

jackld Thread Starter

I am trying to build a new computer and have a question. I am using an Intel D875PBZLK w/P4 2.8 GHz CPU and 1GB RAM. I am using a GForce FX5200 video card and new 450W power supply. I plan on using the CD and floppy from my old computer. Here is what I want to to do. My old computers motherboard died so I re-using as many parts as I can. I want to use the hard drives (less than 6 months old) from the old computer. All of my programs and OS (WIN98SE) are on them. I do plan to upgrade to W2KPRO later. Unfortunately I didn’t backup the drives (hind site being 20/20) even though I should have. Can I boot up from these drives? Is there something I can do ahead of time so this will work? Any help or procedures would be great.

2. n2gun

n2gun

If you have a computer that you could attach the drive to as a slave, it would be best if you could remove the drivers before installing it. If you know DOS, it can also be done by installing it in the new computer and booting with a bootdisk and remove the drivers. If not able to do either of these, hook them up and try to boot. You will probably need your Win 98 disk and I am not sure if it will boot due to the drivers on the master hard drive.

3. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

Sometimes the OS can detect the new hdwr changes of the MB, CPU, etc. I got away with it once changing over from a LuckyStar
    KTAPRO MB/800MHz Duron/PC133ram to a Biostar M7VIT/Athlon XP2600/PC2700 DDRram under a retail version of WinMe using the same hadrdisk with the OS installed from the former configuration. Keep in mind though that the KT-VIA Chipsets were similar. One being a Via kt133a, the other a ktvia400.

You will hav a higher success with it I feel w/ a retail ver of the OS then you will with an OEM version of the OS. Worth a try. Prepare urself for disappointment in case-- no worky.

4. Ash_11

Ash_11

5. ReNxWar

ReNxWar

From past experiences, you shouldn't have to to do anything. On more than one ocasion, I've had to change out hard drives, and once put on proper jumper settings, they run fine. I am kinda worried about your 98se decision, however. Windows XP Professional is 160$ (OEM) www.tigerdirect.com. Trust me, its worth it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice